Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Collie

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rhondakelly, Jul 13, 2009.

1. rhondakelly

rhondakelly PetForums Newbie

My dog has just been diagnosed with liver disease and anemia. He has been given Denamarin. Does anybody know how long it takes to work (if at all). He is very thin and I just really want him to get a bit better. He is between 12 and 13 so know he wont be around for ever but was hoping for a couple more years of him. Any ideas please X

#1 rhondakelly, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  2. rona

rona Guest

So sorry to hear this, did your vet not give you this information?
    I know they can be a bit vague about things like this sometimes.
    The two people on here that may be able to help are Gesic and Nonnie although somebody else may have had experience.
    Unfortunately Nonnie hasn't been around for a few days.

3. rhondakelly

Thanks will keep checking. He still really lively but not much appetite except for treats!!! and know i have got to be careful now with the protein intake although he really loves chicken. X

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Did the vet not advise one of the Hills Perscription diets? as I know that they can work well for some dogs.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

This is out of my knowledge range.

I know Denamarin should be given on an empty stomach, atleast an hour before food. If given with food, it can affect the absorption of certain aspects of the drug.

No idea how long it would take to work. I imagine it has a cumulative affect; ie the longer your dog is on it, the more effectively it works, as it takes time to build up in the dogs system.

There are various diets available for dogs with liver disease, they are expensive, but well worth if it a major organ is diseased. Id speak to your vet about suitable feeds to get condition back.

Age doesnt matter, its about the quality of your dogs life. Some vets have a "he's had a good innings" attitude, and perhaps dont offer the support they would to a younger animal. Push them for information and answers, its what they are there for.

If they arent helpful, try contacting the makers of Denamarin. They will know their product inside and out, and should give you an idea of how it works, and how effective it is. It is a supplement though, rather than a treatment.

1 person likes this.
  6. rhondakelly

Thanks for that. Its driving me mad. He got no appetite today. He only went for his annual booster and thats when vet said he is under weight. He had always been skinny but over years they have said he is an ideal weight. Its all gone wrong since then! Wonder if he must be picking up on my mood as well as cant believe before that he seemed fine. We were only in Scotland a few months ago doing 12 mile walks. Like I said just want him to put weight on. Have got another dog Louie who is 10. Have put them both on senior diet now as recommened by vet and he is enjoying food but Riva just not interested. Know he shouldn't have loads of protein now but he is eating fresh cooked chicken but nothing else today. Not even treats. Just feel sick and worried.

7. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

When my dog had tests plus an xray they said his liver was on the small side and he was underweight 19kilos instead of around 23k. So the vet said to try him on the Hills perscription diet I had my doubts but believe it or not he loves this food where as before he use to turn his nose up. I also add some herbs called Come On from CSJ. Last weigh in he was 22.4k so thats a big difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice