Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Collie with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dave and Merlin, May 16, 2019.

1. Dave and Merlin

Dave and Merlin PetForums Newbie

Hi there..
    I have a 13 yr old Collie (blue merle)
    Generally his health is ok and in himself he is as well as ever, however over the last few weeks he had been suffering from diarrhea.
    I changed his food from Wainwrights dry to chappy wet to see if it was his diet but made no difference, so last sat i started him on rice and chicken, his no.2s were almost back to normal, so yesterday i started to re-introduce the chappy again (small amounts) but once again today the diarrhea is back.

Any advice on what to feed Merlin would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

You may have gone too quickly changing him back to chappie.

He needs to be normal for a probably a week before changing, so the gut really has time to settle down.

If it starts again, whilst on chicken and rice please see your vet or it starts up again please see your vet

I would also by pass the chappie and put him straight back on Wainwright's, well when the time comes gradually introduce it.

3. Dave and Merlin

Dave and Merlin PetForums Newbie

ah ok thanks for the super quick reply.
    He had his 6 month vet check last month, so im sure hes generally well... i will pop him back onto the rice/chicken for another week and do as you suggest, back to Wainwrights...
    Thanks so much again.....
    All the best.

lullabydream likes this.
  4. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

My dog does really well on Lily's Kitchen Recovery Recipe.It contains chicken,potatoes and banana.He suffered terribly with diarrhoea when he had to stop taking Metacam.Never really sure if that was the cause but the diarrhoea carried on for ages.He had just about every test going and they all came back clear.In the end it was just a question of trying to find something that suited him.The Recovery Recipe was brilliant for him,I've gradually reintroduced some other foods but still use it a few times a week.I've given tins to a couple of neighbours whose dogs have had diarrhoea and they've found it good too.I should say that I have no connection to the company that make it and I'm certainly not on commission.Maci also has a probiotic supplement and he does well on Prokolin,a probiotic, paste if needed ,although I wouldn't use this until underlying causes of the diarrhoea have been investigated.His system doesn't tolerate a lot of the foods he used to have,anything with a little more fat content sets him off again.Hope it clears up quickly.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If the OP is using chicken and rice and it's working then that's fair enough.

I can't use chicken personally, for two of my dogs as they are both intolerant to chicken. Which the Lily's Kitchen recovery recipe is based on unfortunately.

A lot of people use tinned chappie, the original for upset tums too. Works a treat unless your dog has an intolerance or allergy to fish the you may have a problem, or possibly the cereals.

I do feed Lily's but avoid everything with chicken; which equates to quite a bit of their food.

Calvine likes this.
  6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Twenty years ago my vet recommended that - - - before he tried anything else. It was amazing (smelly but worked a treat!). It had a lot of rice in it then.

lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

After the week on the chicken & rice and a settled tum reintroduce the other food VERY gradually to avoid another upset. Spread the changeover over a week or two so the stomach has time to adjust.

What flavour is the Wainwright’s? It’s possible he’s developed an intolerance to something in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice