Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Collars

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by gemma1234, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gemma1234

gemma1234 PetForums Member

I just got 2 rescue cats and being strays they have never got used to collars.

I'd really like to put collars on my cats because they will be going outdoors once they settle in (I don't thinks it's fair to keep a cat that's used to having a free roam indoors & they're already getting cabin fever after only 3 days!)

Anyway they both have collars at the moment (I chose the most comfortable looking ones I could find) but they hate them & have ripped them to shreds. The younger cat can also break the safety snap.

Can anyone recommend a collar that they might tolerate- I looked at Beastie Bands but can't find suppliers in the UK that actually ahve any in stock.

Must have a safety snap as when I was young I had a cat that went missing and I found her 3 weeks later hung from a tree :crying:

2. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Ours are all outdoor cats and they DETEST collars, they paw at them and not before long I will find them on the floor. It's best to just have them micro chipped :)

One thing my nan did was use a buckle collar on her cat for a week (keeping it indoors during that time) and when it was happy wearing it she switched to the safety snap collar. And what happened? The cat returned home the first day outside with no collar....waste of time if you ask me

3. LilahSuki

LilahSuki PetForums Junior

Suki doesn't like collars, she goes ballistic when we try to put one so we don't even attempt. Lilah's just started wearing one and I remember I've read somewhere that collars can cause skin irritations. Should I take it off sometime to let her skin breathe? Or should I just forget about it and let her get used to it?:confused:

4. catlover0581

catlover0581 PetForums VIP

IMO, cats are either 'collar wearers' or not lol

I posted the other day about one of my cats always leaving theirs at the front door every morning for me lmao

my 2 kittens have had collars on since they got to me, only when i'm home. and they are fine with them - so fingers crossed :)

5. LilahSuki

LilahSuki PetForums Junior

Once Lilah just took off her collar and we couldn't find it. She seemed so happy :001_tt1:

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I have just had a look at these and wouldnt recommend them.Anything elastic has the potential to cause horrible injury if the cats leg gets caught in it.

7. Kiwi

Kiwi PetForums VIP

I can recommend kittycollars.co.uk. My semi-feral hated all her collars except these (I took the bell off tho). They also do a reflective range (with safety clasp) which is useful for my tabby who tends to blend into her country surroundings. They are durable plastic on the outside and soft on the inside. Good luck with the launch!

8. Ian B

Ian B PetForums VIP

+1 for kittycollars. I use the personalised versions for my lot, or at least I did. Fudge still has hers after years of wear but Bola is on his *spare* after losing the first and the much missed Beckett managed to lose 3 of them, tho' 1 was found and returned. They're a bit expensive if they're going to be lost like that, but I still think they're the best collars I've bought.

Ian

9. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

if you are going to make them wear collar make sure the type you get is a breakaway safety collar. (like kittycollars or similar). All too often i see collars advertised as "safety" when the clip is sub standard.
    Take the bell off too, its not fair, in my opinion, to make them jingle all the time.

10. McSquirtle

McSquirtle PetForums Senior

My three have the Rogz collars but the ones with elastic - if they get caught then can still get out of them but they don't get lost as easily. When they were on safety buckle collars we got through a few a month at least. Which isn't cheap when you've got to replace the detail's tag too!
    I keep bells on mine as they are avid hunters and when I call them in I like to hear them coming. They also know when another is around or coming up the stairs, which is good for Oscar as he's jumpy and aggressive if he's snuck up on!

Rogz AristoCat Collar

11. gemma1234

gemma1234 PetForums Member

Thanks, I looked at kittycollars & it was the best option I could find but wanted to check if anything better out there. After your recommendations I will go ahead & buy from there.

12. Simon's cats

Simon's cats PetForums Senior

I try mine in collars. Pink and Blue and look proud, neither flinch but Ella is like houdini and gets it off but then looks devastated she has. Archie grows so quick and he is like a tiger now so it barely goes round his neck so I have decided that it is more my "want" than their "need" to have collars to make them looks pretty ha ha ha!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice