Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

collars in the house?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sid&kira, Apr 13, 2011.

1. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

do you keep collars on inside the house, or take them off?

Grey has just caught his dewclaw on the ring of his collar while playing, he has a small tear where it joins, so collars are now banned except on walks

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I keep collars off indoors, far too much risk ad leaves a very silly/strange mark where the fur grows

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I have always left collars on day and night, but Dillon's hair round his neck is getting matted so I'm thinking of taking it off in the house.

4. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Rarely take 'em off

5. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

No Millie has never worn one in the house mainly because the jingling is annoying and I want her to be comfy.

Makita still has his Choke chain on (It has all his ID on) because he is so fluffy its not going to get caught on anything and we still need something to grab if we need to move him / prevent him from jumping etc.

But under normal circumstances no we dont have collars on in the house. :D

6. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Interesting, i have never thought to take them off, i have the clip on ones, but dont think i would want the grief of putting rolos back on him, blooming dog would know he was going for a walk, go mad and i wouldnt stand a chance of getting it back on!

Hope Grey is better soon, my two dont have their dew claws.

7. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

marley wears his all the time i just make sure its not tight so it doesn't irritate him, i dont think he even realises its on

8. I have just started taking them off as Chaos our pup thinks Holly & Shadows collars are play things and keeps grabbing them and chewing at them.

9. Petloversdigest

Petloversdigest PetForums Senior

I have a soft cotton house collar (ebay) which means I can keep control if I get a visitor but without ruining the hair coat or causing discomfort - I take it off at night though!:)

10. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

I keep them on just incase they got out of the house, mind you there not bolt out of the door type of dog but i did catch my 3 year old opening the front door yesterday :nono: :nono:

11. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I hate them on in the house. Just a personal pet hate. However, if we lived in a house with a door that opened straight onto the street I would use housecollars since my two are speedy little devils- better safe than sorry. As it is, we have two doors and a 'landlocked' garden, so we can afford to leave the collars off all the time.

12. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Yeah I only put Bumbles on when we're going for a walk, otherwise he doesn't wear it and for a couple of classes he has to just have his show lead anyway and such.

It's mainly just so there's no accidents and also because of his fur :D

Em
    xx

13. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i take them off eversince my old GSP nearly strangled herself when her disc got stuck down the slats of the decking, since then ive heard of a few accidents one being a husky puppy who hung himself when his collar got hooked on the door handle:(

14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I never leave their collars on in the house. They only ever ware them for walking.

I used to know someone whose whippet puppy doied after she jumped up at a the work surfaces and caught her collar on the door handle. She was just too small to be able to reach the floor with her back feet to support herself until someone got there. It was just before christmas and they had gone late night shopping.

15. Petloversdigest

Petloversdigest PetForums Senior

How very sad....

16. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Craven has his collar on during the day,especially if he is in & out of the garden,just incase he escapes from there.

But once he is in and settled the collar comes off.

I also take it off before I go to work,so now Craven knows when the collar comes off during the day,I'm going to work.:mad:

17. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I leave collors on in the house

becasue god forbid and it has happened when i have had one of the kids open the door while one fo the dogs is playing and they have ran out the door.

As it is illigal for a dog to be out wihtout a collar on i'd rather they kept it on.

Also if i have to run out as i have had to do then i dont have to worry about grabbing a lead and trying to ge tit quick i can run striaght out hte door and i have a collar to hold on too when i have caught up with the dog.

Not long before Misty passed I was putting a Lead on the foster dog we had as i had to take him to the verts and the other 2 got excited just stood up from puttin git on adn my little girl opened the door and both greyhound and Dalmatian ran out the door thinking it was walkies.

Hubby got thrown the lead in my hand with the foster dog attached and i ran out the door to catch both dogs! They took themselves to the farmers fields we walk in which is secure. Had they not had collars on it ouldn't have been able to get them home.

18. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummels is on pretty much all the time. When he had his 3 peaks thick one it came off at night but his current one is a simple, padded nylon collar so I leave it. I do take it off to groom him and usually leave it off for a few hours but Tummel seems to get agitated with it off now so it's pretty much always on, it's loose enough and hes happy so I feel fine with leaving it on.

19. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Not in the house, however if the doors are left open, then we put it on, as she's an escape artist!!

20. KalokiMallow

KalokiMallow PetForums Member

As Archie is still new we are keeping his collar on in the house till he is better trained

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice