Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Collar Trouble

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by *kate*, May 26, 2010.

1. *kate*

*kate* PetForums Junior

I have finally found a collar that is staying on my 11 month old very adventurous bengal cross but now he has started to scratch really badly at his neck and has actually got a patch of missing fur. He's flea treated regularly so can't be that and he doesn't scratch when collar isn't on. He's never been very keen on wearing his collar and objects every time it's on so may be behavioural? Or maybe him getting too hot with this sunny weather? It's not on too tight either.

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a collar that he might tolerate better or any advice on how to stop him scratching.

Really don't want to stop putting a collar on him as him and his brother have reflective collars on just in case they venture near the road. They're both chipped so could do without them as a last resort.
    :)

2. Shimacat

Shimacat PetForums Member

It sounds as if he really doesn't like wearing a collar! One of ours was like that - scratched so much that he shredded his collar (and bits of his neck!) - in the end, we decided not to bother with the collar.

TBH, a reflective collar isn't going to help with traffic issues. Cats move so fast that if a cat goes under a car, a reflective collar isn't going to make the cat any more visible to a driver. Collars are handy to put your own contact info on in case your cat goes adventuring, but if it distresses him, you might be better off leaving him collar-free.

If he knows his way home and is microchipped, I'd be tempted to leave the collar off, if it makes him happier.

3. Loulabella1

Loulabella1 PetForums Junior

I had to give up on collars (both of mine are chipped) one would get herself in such a state trying to remove it, she got it stuck in her jaw and her paws had blood on (I was at home so she must have done this in seconds when my back was turned) it was so distressing that I just gave up. However I really would like them to wear collars either with my number on or one that says they are microchipped. The ones I tried were kitten ones with safe catches, I'm thinking an adult one with a safe catch might be better as the kitten ones were elasticated, perhaps a properly fitting non stretch adult one would mean she couldn't get it into her jaw?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice