Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Collar predicament

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Argent, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Hey all, just wondering what you guys (esp teeny-dog owners) think about collars for a houdini of a Yorkie. My sister's leggy little bundle is 6 months old and still doesn't have a permanent collar/tags and isn't microchipped yet because they're getting it done while he's under for his neuter (non-negotiable so no way around that!) He walks in a little jacket style harness to save his trachea, and being one of those tall and leggy pixie types, he's built like a baby deer, very slim all over.

He does have a little house collar, it's just about the only thing they could find in the shop that'd fit him, but it's flimsy and he either slips out of it, or it pops off constantly. It's one of those ones with a metal peg that you pop through a hole in the 'leather' to secure it.

Just wondering if anyone with teeny dogs knows of some kind of collar that'd be comfortable, secure and safe enough for him to wear all/most of the time that could carry his tags in case he ever got loose? I'm looking to maybe 'surprise' her at some point since I can't see her and her OH doing it any time soon!

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Maybe a sighthound collar, they make them for italian greyhounds so they should be able to make one for a yorkie

3. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Ah yes! I shall look into it! Genius idea, that! :thumbup1:

4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I make my own from paracord for my chihuahua's.

You would find it even harder to find an italian greyhound collar to fit a yorkie mine have 8-9" collars I needed a 6" collar for my iggie Micca as she is tiny and really struggled to fine one.

5. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

If you are looking for something basic i got a really thin rolled leather collar from essenjay leather for mine. If you want something a bit more stylish then pet london do some good collars suitable for little dogs
    Pet London All Walkies

6. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I would always go to one of the made to measure collar makers
    I had the same with Dillon when he was a pup and still prefer to buy from these sellers now for a better fit

Indi dog
    Tillymint
    Petiquette
    EssenJay
    a little tiny rolled leather one would do perfect

7. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Wow thanks so much for your input and suggestions :D I've got some collar-shopping to do! (god help me when I finally get my own dog! I'll be keeping the custom collar-makers in business! :p )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice