Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Collar discoloured dogs fur

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nataliee, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

I recently bought some cute collars from a well known pet shop. Well they have stained my L/C chis white fur :eek:
    So be warned when buying certain cute teddy bear collars

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I had a similar problem with a harness that was made for me using padded lycra. Kenzie turned a lovely shade of pink for about a week! :lol: :lol: :lol: The lady advised soaking it in water and vinegar to set the colour, which worked and I haven't had any further problems. It was quite funny!

[​IMG]

3. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

Oh dear, she looks pleased with her new hair colour though.
    I don't know if I could soak it in anything though as its a soft leather type collar? I'll probably just bin it.
    I should sue them, how will he ever become a champion now! And my loss of earnings- no one wanting to use him as stud due to his new undesireable markings

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Can you return the collars - this is a fault really.

I think he'd be even MORE desirable now, he's one of those rare Red-Scruffed Chihuahuas! :D

5. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

With leather collars i always treat them with waterproof dubbin when i get them it softens and seals the leather and so far i've never had any dye staining problems.

6. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

I'm going to see if i can, i hope so as although they weren't expensive i bought quite a few. Haha bless him he has no balls anyway :D
    Its not proper leather, i don't really know what its called, but because they were cheapish i'd worry it would ruin them

7. peds

peds PetForums Member

When we have fresh, deep snow here, it can collect under Baldric's red leather collar as he runs along. As it melts, it runs the colour, and the first time I saw it it looked like he was dripping a trail of blood through the snow... it was pretty terrifying for a moment.

8. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

Do you mind if I ask what type of material the collars were made from? Was it fabric/cotton/polyester/webbing? I only ask as I'm starting up a dog collar business and would like to ensure this does not happen! :p Thank you!

9. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

I'm not sure what material it is, it doesn't say on the packaging the only way i can describe it is sort of a soft leather. I'd post pics of it but i'd imagine i could get in trouble

10. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

Thank you! :) No problem. I hope your little ones fur isn't permanently dyed and goes back to normal soon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice