UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hmm 63 views... does no one here use a collar or harness??

lol soz i know your all busy, i just get impatient and bored. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would always use a collar and lead to start off with, then if you have issues with the walking you can then look into other methods such as harnesses.

Make sure you introduce the lead well, otherwise he may be very anxious with the feeling of being on lead. Do it in the house first, then move into the garden etc.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can i ask how to take him out then if ive to start with it in the house then garden, or do you just mean for a half or so each?

Also i will be picking him up from the transporters so he will have to go on either a lead or harness straight off while transfering him between cars. i dont fancy having a loose dog running around the service station. (they dont unload the crates just open the doors to take the dogs out)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Can i ask how to take him out then if ive to start with it in the house then garden, or do you just mean for a half or so each?

Also i will be picking him up from the transporters so he will have to go on either a lead or harness straight off while transfering him between cars. i dont fancy having a loose dog running around the service station. (they dont unload the crates just open the doors to take the dogs out)
I would do short regular walks to start off with, so your not causing anxiety. When in the house pop the lead on and treat, leave the lead on while he walks around the house and keep treating and praising.

Then put it on to go out to the garden and praise and treat, it will also help him realise that a lead does not always mean walks aswell!

Yes of course you would need a lead to pop him on, i just meant make sure you introduce it well and expect some pulling and anxiety possibly. But with training and praise and reinforcement he should pick it up very easy and take to it well.

A harness is more likely to cause stress rather than a clip lead and collar at the moment as he is used to a collar and a harness uses alot more pressue over larger parts of the body.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh thank you for this, i see what you mean now.

Im planning on starting this off from the very beginning and will be taking lots of treats with me, im hoping he will be so focused on following the treats that he wont realise he has a lead on to begin with.

It should be intersting though, its a 6hr trip back to the house from where we are collecting him so he will have lots of breaks every hr or so for toilet stops. i will try and park as far away from others as possible so that not an added distraction. How tight do you advise i have the collar? i dont want to choke him but at the same time i dont want him to slip it, espec since we will be strangers to him and he has NO recall obviously.

·
Banned
9,695 Posts

Im planning on starting this off from the very beginning and will be taking lots of treats with me, im hoping he will be so focused on following the treats that he wont realise he has a lead on to begin with.

It should be intersting though, its a 6hr trip back to the house from where we are collecting him so he will have lots of breaks every hr or so for toilet stops. i will try and park as far away from others as possible so that not an added distraction. How tight do you advise i have the collar? i dont want to choke him but at the same time i dont want him to slip it, espec since we will be strangers to him and he has NO recall obviously.
If he is travelling 6 hours I think I would forget the treats

·
Registered
815 Posts

You should be able to get two fingers in the collar and that should be a perfect fit.

I would give treats throughout journey as then he will associate the car with nice things, you dont want him to have a bad reaction to the car. Make sure they are small treats which are not too sickly etc. You want to encourage positive reinforcement from day 1.

Any what motivates is worth using, treats or toys etc. Also with the toilet breaks, if he is settled in the car then i would not disturb, or this may cause more stress. Would definately toilet break every 2 hours IMO but some dogs can do hours in the car with no trouble so play it by ear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.