Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Collapsible cat enclosures/cages

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Gratch, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Hi guys, I had planned on putting up a cat enclosure this weekend but with things and stuff, I'm getting put off til either next month or June. I was getting really excited about the cats getting a safe area to go out into as the weather gets nicer but hey ho. I am now looking for a reasonably priced collapsible one that would fit 6 cats so they can lounge out in the sun (supervised) for a while. I have a maximum budget of £350 but my husband said I have to keep some of that for the enclosure later. We'll see! As I'll need to shift them out into it and get them back in safely, I would appreciate any recommendations for that too. I had thought about a harness for each of them when they go out and snipping the lead on when they are being moved in and out but some of my cats have run to chunky and they are slowly losing the weight. I would ideally like something for them that has no bottom so I can just put it on the grass as they really enjoyed frolicking on it when they used to get out supervised on sunny days. They have been cooped up nearly a year now and it's a small house so I don't want to deny them outdoor access for too much longer. Thanks for any help!

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I think I would just save the money and wait till the proper enclosure can be built.:)

3. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I think you will find it difficult to find an enclosure big enough for six cats yet light enough for you to be able to move it around easily, collapsible or not. I remember trying to lift a 6' x 4' wire panel when we were moving our cattery to a different part of the garden, it weighed a ton and I couldn't manage on my own.

An alternative would be to build something up against the side of your house so that you can simply open a window or door and allow the cats free access to the run as and when. They'll still be safely contained but will get some fresh air and new things to look at. That way you also don't have the worry of carrying/walking them to the enclosure and the risk of them wriggling free and vanishing over the horizon.

If you or you know someone handy with a hammer and saw you can make your own run panels pretty easily but if not your best bet would be to get a professional to make something for you. However I would suggest that £350 isn't going to be enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice