Colitis Woes

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Paolo Trepiccione, May 9, 2018.

1. Paolo Trepiccione

Paolo Trepiccione PetForums Newbie

Yesterday's morning bowel movement was fine. One stool, not dry or hard. Todays one was dry and in bits with one bit having blood on it. She didn't bother with her wet food yesterday so starting to see a pattern.

2. Paolo Trepiccione

I honest to God am at breaking point with all this. I don't want to keep taking her the vet needlessly and the stop start nature of her colitis makes it near impossible for me to work out if something is helping or not.

The lack of a conclusive answer is making me more anxious and I wish someone would just give me a straight answer.

3. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Well it seems logical to me that if she didn’t have enough fluid yesterday, her stool may be quite hard? That suggests the beginnings of a reason to me. Of course, if she’s not going for wet food, the challenge is going to be getting her to get enough water in...

Paolo Trepiccione likes this.
  4. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

This may seem an odd idea but..

https://www.royalcanin.com/products...utrition-mother-amp-babycat-dry-cat-food/2544

This is a dry food for gestating queens and kittens. It’s safe to rehydrate ie add water to, the idea being it helps to get kittens on to cat food/wet food.

Could it maybe be worth trying to see if it can encourage your girl to enjoy wet food more?

Edit- I assume that as it’s designed for cats with a lot of growing/providing to do the calorie count is quite high, but I can’t imagine that to be too bad a thing with your girls issues just now!

#24 SuboJvR, May 16, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 8:24 PM
    Paolo Trepiccione likes this.
  5. Paolo Trepiccione

I'll try anything at this point. I just had a massive argument with my wife and my parents about all of this. It was more an explosion of frustration on my account becauae I just want her to be well.

6. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Breathe :)

I know it’s stressful for you and your kitty but try and focus on the positives. None of what is happening is causing her severe distress. Yes, discomfort for sure, a little pain when she goes maybe, but she IS still going. Try and think of it in human terms. I have IBS... I know this feeling well :). As long as she is eating and drinking and going to the toilet, you’re both doing okay.

You WILL get there, it’ll just take a little time.

Paolo Trepiccione and moggie14 like this.
  7. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

And it’s so promising that you had a good day when she had the wet food! You’re getting there!!!

Trust me I know the feeling of it feeling endless - my Joey had diarrhoea, bloody mucusy diarrhoea, 10-12 times a day. And when his bum got sore he associated the litter box with the pain, so he went anywhere else. Hard floors - ok. Behind the sofa - err, bit tough to get to. On the landing carpet. On a towel on the bathroom floor, etc etc. :(

But with patience and sticking to a food plan I know worked, he got better, and actually much more manageable within a 48 hour period.

KoolK, Paolo Trepiccione and moggie14 like this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Paolo Trepiccione - I understand it is very frustrating and worrying not being able to identify the cause of your cat's colitis. It's possible she has a food allergy. Food allergies can cause bowel upsets, diarrhoea etc. Would you consider trying her on an elimination diet for 8 weeks? I can guide you through the process and advise you what foods to feed.

KoolK, Paolo Trepiccione and moggie14 like this.
  9. Paolo Trepiccione

I'll give it til Monday and see where I am. If there is no improvement then I am happy to try.

moggie14 and chillminx like this.
  10. KoolK

KoolK ♡KittyK♡

My kitten is the same! Help!

My kitten has been displaying all of the following symptoms for under 2 months now.

The bloody dihorrea / blood in wee went away so I thought she was getting better after vet gave her worming medicine... clearly I was wrong :-(

Symptoms :

- bloody dihorrea (bright red)
    - blood in urine (mucusey / gooey blood in urine)
    - tiredness all the time / sleeps over 20 hours a day I think
    - she's lethargic
    - eating less (once a day!)
    - drinking but less
    - playing less
    - dull coat

The vet said before the first time that it could be anything from guardia to colitis.

It's getting so stressful and she is pooping everywhere except her litter tray! What should I do????

Sorry for taking over thread in a way lol
    Thanks!

11. KoolK

KoolK ♡KittyK♡

Hi there, i am new to this site and hope to get some advice.

My kitten has been displaying all of the following symptoms for under 2 months now.

The bloody dihorrea / blood in wee went away so I thought she was getting better after vet gave her worming medicine... clearly I was wrong :-(

Symptoms :

- bloody dihorrea (bright red)
    - blood in urine (mucusey / gooey blood in urine)
    - tiredness all the time / sleeps over 20 hours a day I think
    - she's lethargic
    - eating less (once a day!)
    - drinking but less
    - playing less
    - dull coat

The vet said before the first time that it could be anything from guardia to colitis.
    I would love to hear about the elimination diet...

Thanks

12. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

You should go back to the vet immediately.

It could be a number of things but they will need to run some tests to figure it out. My kitten had a nasty parasite that required a month of antibiotics. Standard worm treatments don’t cover things like giardia, coccidia or cryptosporidium.

It is not normal for kittens to be lethargic. They can get critically ill very fast without intervention if they are not eating etc.

I am also concerned about the blood and mucus in the urine. Is your kitten eating wet food? A dry diet only can be very bad for cats as they don’t take in enough fluid and get dehydrated which can really irritate the bladder etc.

In the meantime - poach some chicken (just basically boil chicken in Water until it is cooked through), shred this up nicely and it will hopefully help settle your kittens stomach until whatever treatment is needed kicks in.

KoolK likes this.
  13. KoolK

KoolK ♡KittyK♡

Thank you very much for replying :)
    I know this is really bad... I don't have the money right now to get multiple tests done sadly.
    Could I not just ask the vet to look her over and then give her treatment for colitis etc... I know this is bad: I don't have the money for all the testing required :-(

Yes , she is eating James Wellbeloved dry kitten food. She has stopped eating properly though and only eats about 50g maybe more a day!
    I'm getting really worried!

I have done the chicken thing in the past because she's had this for a while now and it did work so will do again when I can.

She seriously looks depressed, always tired, hiding etc
    The worst thing is all of this bloody poop and maybe even urine is done in my bedroom, in the hallway or on basically anywhere except her two litter trays!