Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cold water aquarium help

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by TomandMoppet, Apr 15, 2019.

1. TomandMoppet

TomandMoppet PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

I have a 60l Tetra AquaArt fish tank. I've had it for several years and have had reasonable success with keeping cold water fish (at it's most occupied it had 8 Platys, 10 Danios, 4 Odessa Barbs and 10 White Cloud Mountain Minnows.) I've never had any problems with water quality (i have it checked regularly at the fish keeping section of the gardening centre where I get the fish) and the tank has a filter and bubbler.

My issue is that the platys never survive very long. I've asked for advice at the stockist and they seemed surprised and the only thing that anyone ever suggested was that it could be the ratio of males to females. The last lot I got was a ratio of 4 females to 1 male but unfortunately it still didn't make any difference and they died within 1 week-3months, apart from one, which survived fine on its own for over 6 months. The other fish in the tank have lasted a lot longer.

Does anyone have any advice on the platys? I really love them as they're so pretty and lively but it would cost me a fortune to keep the tank stocked at the rate they go! I do have a heater that has never been used, would they benefit from a slightly warmer temperature? I don't know what the current temperature is but it's not an amazingly warm room (Victorian house!)

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

All the best,

Hannah

ramenBowl likes this.
  2. ramenBowl

ramenBowl PetForums Newbie

I read up on it as a quick check, and I've owned some myself but your tank should be kept at a steady 70 degrees for them, which in fairness is still fairly acceptable for 'coldwater' fish I think. I mostly just work with goldfish and bettas now but yeah.
    Do you treat the platys before introducing them to the water?

3. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

What type of platys are they? The only platys suitable for coldwater tanks are variatus platys. The more colourful kind need warmer tanks.

Also, if you're adding up to 8 platys in a 60L tank (along with other fish as well), they could be stressing each other out. I wouldn't personally put more than 3-4 platys in a tank that size. They're generally peaceful fish but can get a bit territorial with each other if they don't have enough space.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice