Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cold tail

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by WillowT, Mar 16, 2017.

1. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

i have a vets appointment later this afternoon. But I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.
    Spring is on the way and yesterday we went for a 3 mile hike and willow got some swimming in. First swim since last autumn.
    Ever since we got home she didn't really want to move around and we thought fair enough. She usually has a rest and sleep when we have done a walk.
    Last night she couldn't get comfy at all and thus morning she will not wag her tail!
    Now this is a very happy dog who never stops wagging her tail.
    I understand she might have limp tail, cold tail there are so many names for it. I have 2 questions

Firstly we have done metacam from when she was spayed and it is 6 months still in date. Would it be ok to give her some? As antiinflammatories and rest is the main treatment. I just don't want want to wait another 4 hours if she is in pain.

Secondly, for those that might have experienced this should we expect it to reoccurs?

2. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Fidget had this maybe 18 months ago? A cold swim is a classic trigger, but we think he just over-played and over wagged!

We gave him a tramadol after a phone consult with the vet, fully prepared to phone the surgery first thing; when my alarm went off...the little so and so sprang onto my bed happy as Larry! It was still less waggy than normal, and he didn't want us anywhere near his rear, but it healed on its own with no further drugs or treatment.

It hasn't re-occurred since.

WillowT likes this.
  3. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Thank you, this is reassuring. Does he still swim?

4. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Funny enough he's never swam! It was just a freak thing that we think was caused by a sudden drop in temperature as winter set in.

He has played just as hard, if not harder, since it happened, and runs and wrestles with Sara absolutely fine. This winter there's been no recurrence :)

WillowT likes this.
  5. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Ok, so I shouldn't panic just yet. Willow is a very happy dog whose tail NEVER stops and it is just so sad to see her like this.

6. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Ok, it is ok to give the metacam so I did that about 20 minutes ago. She is now asleep and painfree I hope.
    She never showed any signs of it. Well when I say that I mean she never growled or barked at us. When we realised she wasn't wagging her tail and attempted to investigate she just ran off and laid on the sofa. That's where she has been since. I hope she is feeling ire comfy now and the vet will see her about it Saturday when she gets her yearly vaccine.

Kimmikins likes this.
  7. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Arthur my pointer had it one year and it resolved in a couple of days with some metacam. He still swims a lot but we avoid letting him do it during the colder months. He had his first swim of the year a couple of nights ago and was fine after that.

WillowT likes this.
  8. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Aww, I hope she's comfy now and sleeping it off :)

WillowT likes this.
  9. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

So, the vet really stressed me out. Took her for her yearly booster on Saturday and they wouldn't do it because of the tail thing! Although she recovered 24 hours before we took her to the vet. They said it could have been cord equina:Jawdropand really was quite dismissive of the whole cold tail thing.
    She wants us to continue on metacam until Wednesday and go back Friday for booster. Luckily ive booked with our regular vet on the Friday and will discuss with him. Even though she checked willows back end out thoroughly and couldn't find anything wrong.
    I'm sure she is just keeping and open mind and being cautious but really!

10. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

The one time I took a dog to the vets with this condition they had never heard of it.

11. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Going back to vets today to hopefully get the annual booster. Seeing our regular thank god! :)

12. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I am just wondering what your post would have been if the vet had ignored protocols and carried on injecting and not been ultra cautious and your dog had a reaction/got worse?

Poor vets cannot really win can they?!

13. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

I don't have a problem with the injection not being done! Not at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice