UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this was Pennie's 1st go at cold game retrieves and Louie's 3rd. Sourcing cold game for me is pretty difficult but a good friend managed to get me this one. :) Pennie is coming up to 8 months old.

I started out with the dummies first to get her attention, only managed one photo though, two hands + treats + clicker + camera - doesn't work so well.

Then I put the bird out for her to fathom.

Not bad for a kidda.

Then the boys turn.

I love love love this one.

What a clown!

Thanks for looking. And the bird is slightly frozen, I forgot to take it out this morning before I left for work..

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a note as I was asked elsewhere if I was being serious or if this was just "fun and games". The bird will be used for the retrieves, then I will strip the pelt and the wings and use them for future dummy work and the meat will be saved either for their dinner or my OH's (shhh don't tell him!) and the carcass will most definitely be eaten by the dogs.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lovely seeing dogs "working"

Are they going out on a shoot ever?
The plan is for them to, but finding someone who will let them on a shoot is proving difficult. We'll get there though :)

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Great pics - lovely to see breeds doing what they where bred for :)

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lovely pictures. Not a bad idea for a dog's first time to leave the bird slightly frozen.
Makes mouthing less likely.
Well I simply forgot to take it out this morning before work. So it had 45 minutes to defrost. But it was an afterthought that it was probably a good idea, Louie can be a bit mouthy with game, he was with this one (but he's only ever done Pigeon and Rabbit before) and it didn't help that this one froze in a funny position.

Lovely photos; nice seeing them in their element.
Thank you - was difficult to photograph as well as click, treat, hold hand out for bird.

Great pics - lovely to see breeds doing what they where bred for :)
Shhhh!!! You'll have the pedigree squad on your back calling my mutts a breed!! :eek:ut: :lol:

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
The plan is for them to, but finding someone who will let them on a shoot is proving difficult. We'll get there though :)
Get yourself beating on a shoot and when Keepers day comes around you should be able to take them along. They'd be just about ready then I should think :)

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get yourself beating on a shoot and when Keepers day comes around you should be able to take them along. They'd be just about ready then I should think :)
At the minute Pennie is just learning the ropes and with Louie's ruptured ear drum, I'm just polishing his training up :) I may get myself on a beating actually, never thought about that! Thank you :)

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
At the minute Pennie is just learning the ropes and with Louie's ruptured ear drum, I'm just polishing his training up :) I may get myself on a beating actually, never thought about that! Thank you :)
Keepers day will be yours to do with as you wish, the beating will have earned you a place ;)
If you took them you could work them one at a time and if you had trouble you could just pack them away again. :)

Are you a member of a working dog club?

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keepers day will be yours to do with as you wish, the beating will have earned you a place ;)
If you took them you could work them one at a time and if you had trouble you could just pack them away again. :)

Are you a member of a working dog club?
No I'm not, a lot of them are too far away and I don't drive. Also a lot of the meetings are at the weekends which is when I work. Not doing so well :lol:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Great set of pictures, and well done Pennie. It's wonderful, that moment when they switch from dummies to cold game, you know they've got it.
I dont know where you live but if you're anywhere near Pembs I could get you out on our shoot any time you like, and your dogs would be welcome.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great set of pictures, and well done Pennie. It's wonderful, that moment when they switch from dummies to cold game, you know they've got it.
I dont know where you live but if you're anywhere near Pembs I could get you out on our shoot any time you like, and your dogs would be welcome.
Thank you Pete, but I'm nowhere near you :lol: The OH's at the ranges on the base this week so they're shooting the pheasant there, so he's bringing me some more home tomorrow. Then all I need is a starter pistol, a few hedges and a helper and I can simulate a proper shoot :D

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Great photos and lovely to see dogs working. Thank you.

I'm glad you explained that it was VERY "cold" game, I was wondering how the bird's head stayed in that position :eek:, could have kept me awake all night!

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great photos and lovely to see dogs working. Thank you.

I'm glad you explained that it was VERY "cold" game, I was wondering how the bird's head stayed in that position :eek:, could have kept me awake all night!
I've never really had chance or remembered to work with defrosted cold game. Louie's trained with Pigeon, Rabbit (which was frozen because it had a gaping hole where it's guts used to be) and now a Pheasant.

Thanks for looking :)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Well done Pennie and Louie. Your dogs are absolutely gorgeous!

Hopefully you will be able to get on a shoot soon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.