UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you give this to cats? :confused:

I'm not sure if I read somewhere that you can't....... ?

I was looking at Salmon Oil capsules in H&B today but I could really do without the faff of opening them to put the oil in the food. Being able to pour CLO on instead would be soooooo much easier. :eek:

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I wouldn't - too much Vitamin A (fat soluble so stored in the body and can be fed in excess) alongside the sought after omega 3s. Since it is really the omegas that you are interested in, it makes much more sense to use fish body oils instead (no add vitamin A).

Also, the oil in bottles goes off really quickly, so although using body fish oil (such as salmon oil) in capsules is perhaps more of a kerfuffel, it make more economical sense. I do the same as CandM and just pierce a capsule and sprinkle it on.

However, you can get fish body oil in bottles too.

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks ladies.

It's good to know the old grey matter still works sometimes - I thought I couldn't but the reason why evading me.

Thank you for the link C&M, I'll have a look at that. :)

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
We use the holland and Barrett salmon oil for our two.... It's £14.99 for 120 capsules, but I add the oil from one capsule to each of their meal twice a week.... So 4 capsules a week, so 30 weeks supply, over half a year.... I just pierce mine with the fork I'm dishing their food out with :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would recomend salmon (body) oil.

I gave some salmon oil to my Mum for one of her (old) cats because she's
looking a bit stiff recently. I bought 3L of Fish 4 Dogs SOS salmon Oil for my dog and when I looked at the ingredients list for SOS Salmon Oil for cats on their website I didn't see a major difference so I just poured a bit in a container and told my Mum the recomended feeding ammounts on the cat one.

The older of the cats looks better since she started having it, less stiff and coat looking better.

Hope this helps.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.