UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been giving my lab Cod Liver Oil and Evening Primrose Oil on his food for a couple of weeks now but instead of clearing up the dandruff it seems to be getting worse. Does anyone have any idea about how long these oils take to have any effect? Thanks!!

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
Hi, I've been giving my lab Cod Liver Oil and Evening Primrose Oil on his food for a couple of weeks now but instead of clearing up the dandruff it seems to be getting worse. Does anyone have any idea about how long these oils take to have any effect? Thanks!!
About 6 weeks.

FBO is an important source of omega-3 essential fatty acids which are beneficial to the immune system, the nervous system, the heart, and help stop inflammation, such as in arthritis and allergies. They also support brain development especially of puppies.Omega-3 EFAs are hard to find even in a natural diet, and are highly perishable when exposed to heat, light or air, so they do not survive in commercial foods even if added. Omega-3 EFAs are found in fish body oil, not liver oil.

If you are purchasing FBO it is important that it is labeled with the source and the EPA/DHA content.

Because the Fish Body Oils deplete the body of Vitamin E, FBO should be given with Vitamin E (preferably natural v synthetic); most supplements include Vitamin E

Contra indications: FBO can thin the blood so should be stopped a few days before any elective surgery.

Never add cod liver oil to a commercial diet, as they are already high in vitamins A and D, and too much is harmful.

FBO does not contain Vitamin A and D and is higher in Omega 3s

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.