Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cod liver oil and ?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by annianni, Jul 15, 2009.

1. annianni

annianni PetForums Junior

Hi - my 1st post here

I have a 10yr old Lab with a touch af arthritis, and have used cod liver oil tablets in her food, which seems to help.
    It does have a slightly laxative effect though, and wondered of anyone has a counter measure that would work?

Thanks all
    Anni

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

if it is for joints try human glucosamine.

ruduce the dose to about 1/2 a tab every other day.

i know experienced dog people who swear by it.

if you can get some on special ofer a large tub can last about 2 years.

3. rona

rona Guest

My boy is on 1200mg glucosamine & 800mg condritin as advised by my vet. He is 32kgs.
    Also before it gets too bad look at having Cartrophen injections, they can make a world of difference to some dogs

4. annianni

Thanks, that is helpful and I'll look into it.

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Also, if it is the kind of stiffness that is worst when starting to move, but eases with gentle movement, try homeopathic Rhus Tox. No interactions with other treatments, so safe to add in. You can dissolve the tablets in drinking water.

6. bmxwidow

bmxwidow PetForums Junior

I am currently using Vetzyme Cod Liver Oil for Megan's arthritis and that doesn't seem to have any side affects. She is also on Vetzyme Joint Care tablets.

7. annianni

I'm having a bit of a trial with these (thanks so much for the advice everyone)
    So far, the Rhus Tox seems to be doing the trick, but I will keep monitoring, and report back.
    Thanks again.

8. crazyeyes

crazyeyes PetForums Junior

Just be careful about glucosamine if you think or if there is, any possibility your dog is or could be diabetic. My dog is on metacam given by vet - seems to do trick but really interested in the rhus tox.

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

My 2 old wonky dogs are on Naf Canine Superflex liquid and the results have been amazing! I started off Cromwell on it because he can't have any tablets due to being on steriods for a blood disorder, so my vet recommended it. It's worked so well I've take Cooper off the rimydl tablets and put him on Superflex and he's going great guns!! (All done with my vets approval of course!;))

It's not cheap but worth it.

10. rona

rona Guest

Metacam can have serious health issues if used long term.
    My boy is supposed to be on it but as he is fairly young i am trying to only give it when absolutely necessary

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice