Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cockerel

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by Pampereddog, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Pampereddog

Pampereddog PetForums Junior

hi , I would like your opinion on this, a friend has chickens and some of the eggs hatched and one was a male, as he already had a male he keeps the same one confined daily it's pen and run, the others are free range I suggested it might be kinder if he each one out on alternate days as the one confined runs up and down the pen screeching, what do you think is kindest. Thank you

2. Sarah812

Sarah812 PetForums Newbie

Has he tried to keep them together? Quite often, there is a little bit of a battle of strength, but as long as one eventually accepts that they are not going to be at the top of the pecking order, they can live in harmony. It is usually only when both will not accept 2nd in command! The general rule is - unless there is any blood seen when fighting, let them figure it out for themselves, as it isn't as vicious as it looks to us. All my neighbours have more than 1 cockerel and they all free range together (some are even quite dominant breeds).

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice