Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cocker spaniel health

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by huddy50, Jul 5, 2009.

1. huddy50

huddy50 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I am new on here and just wondering if there is anybody who could help me?

I have a 3 year old black cocker called bruce who has had none stop problems with his eyes started with Conjunctivitis where his eyes do not stop streaming and now the vets think he might have cataracts. We have tryed a number of eye drops but with out much success. Is there anything we can used to bath his eyes with that might take away some of the discharge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you adam, cheryl and bruce:)

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Optrex can be used to wipe the eyes, or you can get eye wipes from pet shops.

What sorts of tests has he had one? Does he have entropion?

Entropion in Dogs

3. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

is the discharge still runny or thick?

4. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

My cocker (also blck:wink5:) was born with only one eye.
    Her remaining eye was affected by both distachiasis (in growing eyelashes) and entropian.
    She had numerous ops to rectify this as obviously being with only one eye that eye was pretty important!
    It was never resolved and throughout her lifetime i had to reg pluck eyelashes that irritated her eye.
    She got many corneal ulcers over the years but was very patient and brave dog who let me treat her without any fuss or carry on.
    Cockers are predisposed to eye probs and having continually growing hair doesnt help...the mop on head weights the brow exagurating any problem such as distichiasis and entropan so try and ensure the mop on top stays short!
    Def worth speaking to an opthalmologist as they can use special equipment to look at eye and spot any minor defect ur reg vet could easily miss.

5. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Am i right in thinking in growing eyelashes is comon in cocker's?

6. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

I am not an expert in cockers so this is just from my own experience, but would say it is known in the breed. Mine was not helped by the fact her eyelids turned in also (entropian) that is common in c spans.
    Hopefully most breeders wont breed from those affected thus reducing the problem.

7. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

My cocker get's runny eye's, the vet did take a look and said they were fine, but i'll keep a check on them for now thank's for that:)

8. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Ive been very luky no probs with eyes did have probs with bacterial infection of the ears though when we first had him but they managed to sort it. I know its common for ingrown eye lashes in cockers but also bull dogs and sharpie are prone to it to as far as i know normally it can be sorted by a op which relives the irritation and runny eyes.

Badger's Mum likes this.
  9. huddy50

huddy50 PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

As far as I know he does not have entropion. The vets have mentioned that it is quite common for there to be in growing eye lashes but they did not think this was the cause. The eye discharge is usually thick rather than runny but on some occasions in the past it has been runny I just put this down to the eye drops. We have our healthy harvey visit next week so I will get her to have another look to see if has improved.

Out of interest does anybody think it could be something to do with the fact he loves water and swimming? We thought it might do but we stopped him going it for a few weeks and he still had problems.

Thank you all again Adam,Cheryl and Bruce :)

10. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

unfortunatly it is very common for show cockers to get eye problems, that's why you will find more and more bredders doing the health testing

11. rona

rona Guest

Our Chessie had something similar, and had to have an operation when he was a puppy for a blocked tear duct.

This is a quote from a veterinary site

BLOCKED TEAR DUCTS ... Clogged tear ducts are a common health concern of small breed dogs. Veterinary opthamologists estimate that as many as 20% of all small dogs are born with lower tear ducts that are partially blocked or closed. Veterinarians can easily treat this problem by surgically opening the ducts or irrigating them.

12. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Hello.

Cocker spaniels are known to have eye problems. I had a cocker spaniel - his pic is in my sig, and he died over ny last year.

Anyway, with him, he developed eye infections because his eyes weren't developing tears or something like that - or at least that's what my sister was saying. The vet told us to put Viscotears in his eyes along with a couple other drops if the eye(s) were very infected.

i would take your dog to the vet for a a check up. I hope he's ok.

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You can try optrex - it won't do any harm and may do some good. The herb Eyebright is also good for eyes. Bioforce make a liquid extraction that you can dilute into an eye wash - from health food shops.

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'm baffled by all the statements about Cockers suffering from eye problems? Is this a problem with show cockers? I didn't know it to be a problem within the breed, and as its a breed I'm interested in I did enquire when I saw the replies to the op, and was told it isn't a problem, at least in working cockers. I wouldn't want anyone browsing a forum to read something that might not be 100% accurate, so just thought I'd stick the other side in.

I use golden eye drops, available from the chemists, which are good for clearing eyes, particularly at the moment with all the pollen and grass seeds flying about. Indie actually got a large bug stuck in the corner of her eye when running through the grass last week, one of the hazards of retrieving through long grass!!

15. Always though that entropian was something they were born with! can this develope later on ??? Wondering if it could be due to hay fever like symptems!

Is the vet certain is is cataraccts ? assuming these could be operatered on but would not have thought they would have caused a discharge!

#15 DoubleTrouble, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
  16. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think it is DT, my Indie suffers from the opposite problem, ectropion, where the eyelids droop slightly, although thankfully as it is only a mild form of the condition it doesn't cause her any problems. From what I know about it, it is a hereditary condition, so they are born with it, although you might not be able to tell until they mature.

17. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Entropian is hereditory and also conjenital in some just to confuse u.
    In alot of breeds "shar pie" being a classic example they are born with lots of loose skin, if on the head it can cause the brow to roll forward and the eye lid to curl under result entropan.
    Some breed just require the eye lits to be tacked back or excess skin removed and tacked back, others with more severe cases require a full face lift also.
    U r right sleeping lion I havent seen it in working cockers just the show type and not huge amounts...it is more the chows, shar pies and other heavily skinned breeds.

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Thanks for that gesic.

Just so people know the difference as well with ectropion, there isn't sufficient skin/muscle structure around the eye, so this is actually more difficult to correct as you would have to in some way, build up what isn't there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice