Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cocker Chon (Cock-A-Chon)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sweetcheeks, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetcheeks

Sweetcheeks PetForums Junior

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a cocker chon (cock-A-chon) I would be interested in any info anyone could provide as I am looking into getting one. Do people breed this type of dog?

Does anyone know of any breeders where I could look into getting one from?

Thanks

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You'll have to help me out, what is it a cross between?

3. Sweetcheeks

Sorry, it's a cocker spaniel x bichon frise. I cant seem to find any info on them so maybe they are not a breed which is common. I googled it and came up with one or two pictures

4. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

never heard of that one:confused:

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Because its a crossbreed and not an actual breed, information will be very limited.

Any particular reason you want this particular cross? Would not a poodle or bichon be suitable?

Finding people that are breeding healthy crosses is very difficult.

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

It's a crossbreed theres a good chance you'll be able to find one like it or pretty similar in a rescue. If you do find a breeder ensure they have all the relevant health tests for both breeds and only breeds healthy puppies but with crossbreed breeders its difficult to find a good breeder.

7. Sweetcheeks

There is no particular reason why I chose it, my partner and I have been looking at cocker spaniels.

I like bichon frise but my partner is not very keen so when I came across the spaniel and bichon frise I thought perfect lol

I am open to suggestions though and will thoroughly research before we make a decision

x

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Were you looking for a puppy or a rescue?

9. Sweetcheeks

I'm not really sure it's not something we have looked into.

It may sound like a silly question but how does adoption from a rescue centre work?

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Depends on the rescue. I didnt get mine from a centre, so cant help there.

It nearly always involves a homecheck, and they will ask about private life, and maybe finances. Im not 100% sure. You will of course pay a fee, but this will cover vaccination, neutering if the dogs old enough and microchipping.

I know JSR works for rescues, but i dont think she posts in the evening.

11. Sweetcheeks

Is a Cavachon (cavalier x bichon) a known breed or again because it is a cross it is not recognised?

12. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Its a cross as well because there are so many people breeding them and they haven't standardised them because people are mostly just breeding them for money. Two of our dogs are rescues and we had to have a home check making sure we had enough room and finances. When we got Sophie they also made us bring our dogs to make sure they were friendly

13. Sweetcheeks

We have a Border Collie at the moment and thats the only thing I am worried about, is that he will get along with another dog/puppy coming into the home

14. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I'm sure if you take the time to introduce them and make sure the border collie has somewhere to go away from the new dog especially if its a puppy they'll be fine.

15. kibby

kibby PetForums Newbie

We have a Cocker Chon here in the United States. It is the most wonderful dog. He does no shed at all. He is about 30 lbs and he is wonderful. But we purchased him at a rip off pet store where he likely came from a Puppy Mill. Our daughter saw him and fell in love with him. We have had him for 2 and 1/2 years now. He'll sit in our arms just like a baby. Although he is 30 lbs. He thinks he is a little lap dog.

16. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Never heard of them, just another lets see how it turns out dog i suppose why cant people just get a cocker or bichon, does anyone know what putting the 2 together benefits the dog.

17. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

good luck in finding another dog to join your family I dont know anything about cockachons I say follow your heart and do what you think is right as the pup is born and needs a home too just like any rescue dog.

18. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I have never heard of this as a common crossbreed so i think you will find it hard to actually find one.

I have seen the Cavachons advertised though, they seem much more common.

Can i ask what sort of dog you want temperament wise and maybe it might help us advise you wether the cocker or bichon characteristics are better and maybe you could get a pure breed one of whichever is better suited if you are set on getting a puppy anytime soon :)

19. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

The clue is in the silly made up name. Also in the fact that there is an "X" in "cavalier x bichon". X for cross. As in crossbreed. As in not pure breed.

ETA - and I'm not being breedist or anti-crossbreed, as a quick look at the brown blob in my avatar and my username will tell you ;)

#19 Colliepoodle, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  20. Mollydoodle

Mollydoodle Banned

oh Lord help us here. Anova "lets make up a name as random as possible for a crossbreed to make more money" at least this time it is sumone wanting one rather than advertising them. were will it end? I now we have a Labradoodle but it started sumthingk when someone came up with them and now it seems to be just everyone jumping the bandwagon. wot next a rottie x dashunt? a irish wolfhound x a shitzu and make a irish sh1t?? sorry no offense ment to the irish there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice