Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cockatiel problems

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by Cockatiellover, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Cockatiellover

Cockatiellover PetForums Newbie

I have had my cockatiel for around two years now. She appears to have bonded with my dad and to be honest its kind of upsetting since i look after her. Recently i belive my bird has become quite lonely as my dad has a job and isnt home a lot of the time so I have been thinking about getting a second cockatiel as a friend for my bird and a conpanion for myself. Because my current bird is bonded with my dad i assume that there wouldnt be an issue getting a bird for myself. Id love to hear your thoughts as i am still new to owning birds

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum.:)
    Cockatiels enjoy the company of other birds. Are you at home all the time? There is no guarantee the new bird will bond with you or prefer you to your dad.

Cockatiellover likes this.
  3. Cockatiellover

Thankyou so much ☺ i am a highschool student but aside from that im at home most of the time. If i were to spend more time with the new cockatiel would that increase the chance of it bonding to me? i know birds usually bond with one person for life, but would there be any chance of changing my current birds mind? Also i have heard people say just having one cockatiel is bad and that i should get another one, is that true in your opinion?

#3 Cockatiellover, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Its difficult to say whether your new bird will bond with you . If he is not very tame then he or she will more likely bond with your other bird.
    We've had budgies ( Parakeets if you are in the US) and a couple of cockatiels . One cockatiel used to prefer men but was still friendly and tame with anyone.
    The budgies seems to like every one and were tame even though they had company
    It nice for them to be with a member of their own species but perhaps it depends on how much human company you can provide. My cockatiel was friends with my little chi dog.

best to talk it over with your dad and see what he thinks .

5. Cockatiellover

Thankyou so much for your help. Today i was able to pet my penny for the first time in ages so things are looking up.

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice