Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

cockatiel help

Discussion in 'Bird Chat' started by Liannexx, May 13, 2019.

1. Liannexx

Liannexx PetForums Newbie

I've had cockatiels in the past and still to this day , either parent raised or rescues. 2 weeks ago I went and got a hand reared (silly tame) tiel from a breeder I had seen videos and photos of the breeder holding him and petting him and he let me hold him when I collected him from the breeder and place him in the travel cage. when we arrived home I let him look around and get somewhat accustomed to his new surroundings that evening I placed him in his new cage and shut it as do every evening at bedtime other than that cage doors are open , next morning quite shy but he came and sat with me we had some scritches and then placed him on his bird play activity centre next to the cage he went straight to the cage and sat on the furthest perch away . if I went near he would show me the beak and hisses that was 2nd day of having him now its day 17 of having him and I cant go near him . He drew blood to my husbands thumb when he went to pick him up he hisses and shakes if I get to close to the cage . every day I try but no progress at all, I sit and talk to him with a very gentle voice I dont give eye contact I offer him some millet and he just goes tall and skinny with his Crest fully up on alert mode . what's going on why cant anyone go near him when hes a hand reared cockatiel??

2. billsfoxes

billsfoxes PetForums Junior

i had an african grey that showed the same sort of reactions he was silly tame and every now and again he was really snappy we could'nt get near him turns out it was hormones but im no expert on hookbills so it maynot be the same for your tiel

Liannexx likes this.
  3. Liannexx

Liannexx PetForums Newbie

Thanks I appreciate your message, i did think hormones but at 3 to 4 months i didn't think that would be the case .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice