Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cockatiel breeding

Discussion in 'Bird Breeding' started by arun, Aug 12, 2017.

?

Hi i was just wondering do i have to incubate cockatiel eggs,ive done abit of research and they say

1. help

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. arun

arun PetForums Newbie

Hi i was just wondering do i have to incubate cockatiel eggs,ive done abit of research and they say i dont have to incubate the eggs.can anyone help please?

2. Billie + friends

Billie + friends PetForums Newbie

Hi,

It really depends on the parents. If the eggs are being sat on pretty much 24/7 in a nest box then they will most likely hatch, but if no parent is sitting on the eggs or you don't have a nest box (or both), they will most likely not hatch unless you incubate them yourself.

Billie

3. Arunn

Arunn PetForums Newbie

thanks alot mate would you recommend me to get an incubater?and when they lay a egg when do i incubate it?

4. Billie + friends

So you're defiantly going to want to buy an incubator if you're thinking about breeding, you can never tell how good the parents will be even if you've bred them before.
    How old are your birds?
    And I myself would just look at a few incubators on Amazon, this one looks good and is pretty cheap; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...i=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=bird+incubator.
    You'd need to leave the eggs alone for a few days, the birds will start sitting on them after laying the 2nd/3rd egg, but if they don't, or you feel you want to incubate them yourself, then put them into the incubator as soon as they are laid. Replace the 'missing' egg with a small rubber egg, the hen should continue laying.

5. Arunn

Arunn PetForums Newbie

would these incubators work good for parrots aswell mate?

6. Arunn

Arunn PetForums Newbie

how many days do you leave the eggs in the nest box for?

7. Billie + friends

Yeah, that incubator should work for anything that fits as long as you keep the temperature right, and you'd have to turn the eggs yourself.
    Do you mean how many days do you leave the rubber eggs in the nest?
    Once the hen has stopped laying, take them out quickly or she may try and form another clutch. This probably wouldn't be good as she could become egg bound laying again so soon. So after she's laid a few eggs and she doesn't appear to be laying again.

8. Arunn

Arunn PetForums Newbie

i meant when the eggs are layed after how many days do i take them out the and incubate them?would i have to hand feed them or would the mother feed them mate ?

9. Billie + friends

If you want the mother to feed them, leave the eggs in the nest and hope that she broods on them. She should feed the chicks for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice