Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cockapoo brother and sister

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rach91, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Rach91

Rach91 PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm wondering if someone could give me some tips. We have 2 amazing cockapoo. Half brother and sister and are amazing but in the past couple of days the female has become aggressive when it comes to playing and toys. For example they can be opposite end of the room and for some reason she thinks her brother is going for her toy and will growl before going for him. We are separating her when this happens and we have read that this is common in 6 no th old pups die to the imbalance and development of their hormones. Apart from this they get on so well and sleep fine and generally good with each other it's just this aggression for her when it comes to treats or toys. Can anyone give us some tips?

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi, I will ask a mod to move your thread to dog chat where hopefully you will get more replies.

Are they both 6 months old? Have you had them both since they left their litter and dam?

I would worry that there is some resource guarding developing and I wonder if there are some more subtle things manifesting that you're not quite picking up on. Spaniels can be very bad about RG....
    I'm also wondering if there is some littermate syndrome things going on.

Sarah H, Rach91 and Sairy like this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Are these two neutered?

If not, you need to be very watchful for your bitch coming into season.

DaisyBluebell, Sairy and O2.0 like this.
  4. Rach91

Rach91 PetForums Newbie

The boy is getting done next month and we were advised to let the girl have her 1st season before we have her neutered that's mainly why we thought to get him done first.

Both been with us when Poppy was 11 weeks and Buddy 13 weeks. We have also read it could be her way of asserting herself as the dominant one of the two but just unsure how to deal with it as I don't want her thinking it's okay to in effect go for her brother when it comes to toys and treats both are so loving with us and get on so well but when it comes to these two things she is very protective of what she considers hers which is all the toys and all the treats

5. Rach91

Rach91 PetForums Newbie

Just looked this up and you look to be in the button about RG. Thankfully she is great with us and no guarding with us. Just her big soft brother she is like this with

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

As they reach 6 months of age both of the dogs are in essence 'growing up' and yes, hormones creep in so individual personalities really begin to emerge. My own take on multi dog situations (including my own Cavalier siblings) is that there has to be a certain amount of 'I think you'll find that's mine' when they reach this age (especially in regard to toys) if there is to be peace and harmony once they grow up. Where most dogs are concerned they have no wish to escalate the behaviour so I would suggest that your female pup isn't so much 'going for her brother' as letting him know she is the decision maker. If he happily accepts this then harmony will reign. My siblings are as close and loving as any sisters could wish to be - but there is one decision maker and Cavvie number two accepted this from the start. And we have never had a cross word.

However I would make sure that you are keeping up on the training. And as you have two (which whilst not being siblings are too close in age not be be effected by littermate syndrome) I would be working hard at fostering their individuality. In other words training, walking and playing with them individually (as well as together of course). This is to ensure that your female pup understands that actually you, not her, set the boundaries. And no, don't let her own the food (treats). Naturally she will if you let her. Feed them separately and give treats/chews separately.

Training prevents resource guarding and i would definitely ensure both dogs understand that handing an item over is always rewarded.

J

Laney_Lemons, Rach91, Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice