Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cockapoo 6 month puwaking up 5:30/6am in the crate

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JodieWeeks, Oct 23, 2018.

1. JodieWeeks

JodieWeeks PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I have a lovely 6 month cockapoo puppy. He has been crate trained since we got him and slept in his crate downstairs every night - he has never slept past 7:30, he sleeps through the whole night and will wake up anywhere between 5/6, ( he normally falls asleep by 9/9:30 but even if I keep him up he still wakes up the same time) I let him out for a wee and if I put him back in his crate he will sleep in there for another 10/15 mins and bark again. I think he just wants some company.. Over the last few days I have put the crate in my room and when he woke up at 6:15 this morning I told him to shhhh and he slept back till 6:45 and I let him out for a wee then he slept under my bed till 7:30.. I get 5/6 isn’t the end of the world but on a weekend a lay in would be lovely and now the days after getting darker in the mornings and evenings his walks will be in the day so he doesn’t need to be up super early..

My question is - should I continue letting him sleep in his crate with the door shut? Or should I leave the door open? Or do I transfer him to a dog bed and maybe put it on the hallway? I am just concerned as I would obviously like a really easy going dog and a crate allows him to settle wherever if someone needs to look after him, or would a bed have the same affect? Any advice on having my cockapoo sleep a bit longer? Thanks

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

When you let him out for the wee, does he rush out and go straight away?
    How about keeping the crate door shut until after the wee, then after he's back in,leaving it open and giving him a kong that's been in the freezer? That should keep him quiet and busy for a while; if you want to sleep longer, that won't work in your room - that slurping noise will be too much!.
    And now you have a dog, accept that lie-ins are a thing of the past.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

As above.
    Maybe as he gets older you might get a lie in, but pups are demanding and sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  4. JodieWeeks

Thanks all,

He has decided to start getting up even earlier .. this morning 5, yesterday morning 5 - I tried moving him back downstairs in his crate - it seems he likes being closer to me so might try move his crate on the landing ... and see if he sleeps longer .. not sure if he is waking up for company

5. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Don't forget the clocks went back this weekend, so he didn't really get up any earlier, he can't tell the time he goes by his little body clock, so for him 5 is still 6. I'm afraid @Burrowzig is right, with a pup, lie ins are a thing of the past. It will get better tho, in time he will sleep longer but he is still just a baby, and you probably need to just accept that you are gonna be woken early for a bit longer yet! Good luck.

Torin. and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  6. JodieWeeks

Haha lucky I have been going to sleep when he does at 9/9:30!!! Will he eventually sleep longer?
    Or is it going to be this way forever? would you advise sticking with the crate? And maybe leaving the crate door open or shall I still lock the crate

Thank you !!!

7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I would also suggest making the move away from your room slower - back to your room for a few nights (that seemed to work better for you didn't it?) then if you do want to move him, to the landing for a few nights, stair bottom for a few nights etc. By all means leave the crate open if you are happy he won't get into mischief, or experiment a bit - have him in a bed in your room and the open crate with another bed downstairs, see what he chooses.

We said when we first got T that he gave us the gift of an extra half day every weekend!

Lurcherlad and Bugsys grandma like this.
  8. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Well if it was me, for now I would continue to use the crate, with the door shut overnight. He is clearly happy with that arrangement as you say he sleeps through the night, and he is still only a baby. Perhaps when he gets up first thing to go out, you could try putting him back in the crate but at that time leave the door unlocked. As @Burrowzig suggested you could give him something to keep him occupied, or you could try just telling him to settle. It won't be this way forever at all, but he is still just a baby. You are actually doing very well indeed, you're not having to get up during the night to put him out, he's happy in his crate, that's all very positive. I really wouldn't be worrying too much. I know you want a lie in but I think you are just gonna have to wait for that! :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

If you don’t already, I’d suggest giving a small meal at bedtime. He may be waking early because he is hungry.

My boy always used to wake at 6.40am, however, recently I started giving him more food at bedtime (initially because he had lost a bit of weight) and he will now sleep much longer.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice