Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cob cross Clydesdale?

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding and Rearing Foals' started by Sillylily, May 4, 2019.

?

More Clydesdale than cob?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sillylily

Sillylily PetForums Newbie

Hi, so I have a 15hh cob x mare,..although I’m being told she looks as if there is more Clydesdale in her than cob? She was under weight when I got her so she’s putting it all on in all the right places thankfully, what’s everyone’s thoughts on her breed? She’s such a lovely girl! Sweet nature, I’m so lucky!

Attached Files:

Calvine likes this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I can see the Clydesdale in her: her head and feet particularly but also her back.

She is gorgeous! ;)

Sillylily likes this.
  3. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Definitely favours the clydie parent! Beautiful girl - I do have a soft spot for Clydesdales

4. Sillylily

Thanks lurcherlad! Yeah it’s just that I have had some people say she doesn’t have Clydesdale in her and some has said yes she has, I mean the 4white socks plus blaze on face, and shape of heat head makes sense,...what is it about their backs? Can you tell by that then? She’s 8yrs old but I have recently found she was broken in, in December time and she was sold as family horse, no vices,...she bucks and naps, can’t really put anyone on her so I have sent her training for now, missing her so much! And yes I couldn’t agree more! She’s beautiful! thanks

5. Sillylily

Thanks ringypie

She’s a beauty! I got her from a dealer, very underweight, feet were in awful condition, she wasn’t clean but heart ruled my head! ‍♀️ Although I wouldn’t change her for the world, I said to lurcherlad that I have sent her training, and miss her so very much, cracks have nearly gone from her hoof’s but she gone for training as people who sold her were dealers and ruined her she bucks when your going to mount, that’s if you can get her to stand still at first if not you just end up chasing her in circles to get on, which is not how I like my horses to be, that means either she’s not educated enough or broken in properly and she’s still very green, can’t wait until she comes home again tho thanks for both of your reply’s!!

Ringypie likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t send my horse away to be trained.

7. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

I wish you all the luck in the world with her.
    My boy was a heart purchase too, Poor condition just over from Ireland. I hadn’t had him long before I was being told to have him shot as he was dangerous.... he used to run off with me all the time and was terrified aggressive over his stable door. He was also not good to mount - shot off as soon as I scrambled on! I ignored them and had lots of lessons instead, and 17 years on he is just wonderful - an all round nice guy on the ground, straightforward to handle, perfect at shows, an easy hack round the lanes and a very useful little showjumper although of limited scope he has been an absolute rosette machine over the past few years!
    I’m sure you’ve done all the checks but if you keep having problems mounting have you had saddle and back checked?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Sillylily

Hey! Omg I’m so glad to hear that! How old is he now? Yeah she’s from wales originally, I picked her up from Birmingham which is a 2/3hour drive from me, yeah I had vets out to check her back and all is fine, saddler came out checked the saddle and confirmed it’s the right size for her, even had x-rays done on her back, to make sure she’s 100% and that’s all come back a ok , but don’t know what the people done to her that I got her from, but hoping all is ok, oh had the dentist out, and that’s fine so think it’s more educational, and she needs bringing on more, I have been to see her where she is and they are great with her, they are doing lots of groundwork with her and slowly getting her used to it all again, just going back to basics really,

Ringypie likes this.
  9. Sillylily

Lurcherlad,

Why’s that? Have you had bad experience with trainers? I know you can get some dodgy ones, but I checked them all out and I like to turn up unexpectedly, but the lady she’s with is great! I know apparently some people make them go without food and water which is awful! They end up breaking the horses spirit, which is heartbreaking

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I did and I wouldn’t trust anyone with my animals again.

11. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

He’s 23 now - not that you could tell! He went jumping the weekend before last, tanked me round 2 double clears to win both his classes (even against ponies!).
    That’s good that you have had all the checks done. Hopefully the trainer will be able to crack the issues so you can enjoy her. I’ve heard awful stories about some trainers but also success stories too. I would suggest you go over to the trainer to ride and have some lessons with them before she comes home so you can carry on using the techniques the trainer has used - then carry on having lessons to stop the problems drifting back in, even if you only want to hack.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice