Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Coatex aloe and oatmeal medicated shampoo.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Micky93, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

After Eddie's extremem moulting due to itching, the vet advised doing a treatment using the Coatex medicated shampoo.

I gave him his first bath with it last night, and I have to say he hasn't itched once yet *touch wood*. Really really pleased about that. The thing is, how often should I be using it? It says on the bottle "Use twice weekly for a fortnight and then as vet recommends", but my vet wanted us to use once a day for a week, every other day for a week, then twice a week for a fortnight and then as needed.

I think this sounds quite a lot, and wonder if it will be too drying on his skin and therefore defeat the purpose by making him itchy again.

Basically, how often would you use it for the first two weeks?

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Coatex Medicated and coatex aloe vera and oatmeal are two different shampoos. Has he give you the aloe and oatmeal as in the title or the other coatex? If its the Aloe and oatmeal then it is very mild conditioning shampoo for sensitive skin. The aloe and oatmeal in it moisturises the skin, and soothes it. It shouldn't remove natural oils as its mild.

3. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

This I'd another thing I'm confused about. On the prescription label the vet printed out it says the aloe and oatmeal, but I can't see aloe and oatmeal mentioned once on the actual bottle that try stuck the label to :confused: is it obvious the difference between the two bottles so I know which I have?

4. Sled dog hotel

Ive used the aloe and oatmeal so knew there was a difference, and that coatex did other shampoos Ive looked up on line is this any help.

Coatex Aloe & Oatmeal Shampoo

Coatex Medicated Shampoo 500ml - Animed Direct

There is pictures of the bottles on the links. There was always two different ones when I used it.

5. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Hmm by the looks of it then he's been given the medicated one by accident as the vet has put on the label the aloe and oatmeal one and was talking to me about that one. I thought it may be too strong to use so often when I read on the label 'Please wear gloves when applying' hence asking.

Without sounding dumb, what is in the medicated one that makes it 'medicated'? I only ask because it seems to have done him the world of good and hasn't itched once since I used it last night - he's never gone 24 hours without itching, so wouldn't want to swap it for the aloe one if that's going to carry on his itching... do I make sense or sound like a nut job now? :eek:

6. Sled dog hotel

No you don't sound like a nut job, even if you do dog health worries and dogs in general often turn you into a nut job any way:D

The Aloe and oatmeal as far as I can make out is gentler and moisturising aloe vera is known for skin problems and being soothing and moisturising, oatmeal is a good natural remedy for inflamation and things like eczema too.

The Medicated coatex I know is anti fungal and antibacterial wasn't sure whats in it exactly so looked it up and it has Chloroxylenol which is apparently an antimicrobe chemical compound, it also contains salicylic acid see below for explanation

Salicylic acid (from Latin salix, willow tree, from the bark of which the substance used to be obtained) is a monohydroxybenzoic acid, a type of phenolic acid and a beta hydroxy acid. This colorless crystalline organic acid is widely used in organic synthesis and functions as a plant hormone. It is derived from the metabolism of salicin. In addition to being an important active metabolite of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), which acts in part as a prodrug to salicylic acid, it is probably best known for its use in anti-acne treatments. The salts and esters of salicylic acid are known as salicylates.

and also sodium thiosulphate

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sodium thiosulfate (Na2S2O3), also spelled sodium thiosulphate, is a colorless crystalline compound that is more familiar as the pentahydrate, Na2S2O3·5H2O, an efflorescent, monoclinic crystalline substance also called sodium hyposulfite or “hypo.”

The thiosulfate anion is tetrahedral in shape and is notionally derived by replacing one of the oxygen atoms by a sulfur atom in a sulfate anion. The S-S distance indicates a single bond, implying that the sulfur bears significant negative charge and the S-O interactions have more double bond character. The first protonation of thiosulfate occurs at sulfur.

#6 Sled dog hotel, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  7. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Wow, that's an interesting read. Thank you for finding all that information for me :eek:

Which do you think is best then to use for Eddie? I'm amazed that this one has stopped him from itching, but now unsure as to why it worked, and would be disappointed if I took this one back for the other one and it didn't do anything for him (have used oatmeal shampoos for dogs in the past and they haven't touched it - is coatex stronger though?).

Sorry for all the questions, just was amazed to find something that finally worked and now unsure whether it's even something I should use on him :mad2: (obviously not regularly).

8. Sled dog hotel

As its anti bacterial ad anti fungal, that maybe why its worked. Coatex though from what I can make out is stronger and would strip the coat and oils more.

I remember looking up treatment for sebaceous adenitis, with that there is a cleansing and moisturising routine you have to do regularly basically to do the cleansing and moisturising and balancing of the skin and coat that dogs with the condition cant do naturally, and one of the cleansing parts was using a salicylic acid amongst other things to do the cleaning part of the regime, so from what I can remember whats in the coatex medicated would be harsher on the skin and coat then the aloe vera and oatmeal that is gently cleansing and also mositurising in itself.

Im just wondering if they suspect his skin problems are seasonal due to grasses and pollens the frequent washing would make sense as I remember watching something on hayfever and they advise, taken showers and washing your hair as soon as you return home, chaging your clothes and not leaving clothes to dry outside as they will pick up the pollens and irritants and by the bathing and hairwashing you would be removing them.

9. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Possibly, I have considered this myself, although his itchyness is all year round on the whole. I have to say, he's not been nibbling at his feet last night/today when in 'itching mode' so I am assuming they are feeling less irritating as well. Will probs give them a ring tomorrow, but happy to stick with this one and just not use very often... curious to see how long he goes now without itching...

*countdown begins*

10. Sled dog hotel

Just give them a ring tomorrow as you say, you may still be able to use it and it will work but not so much as the aloe and oatmeal because its harsher.

11. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Will do. Was wondering about picking up one of the aloe ones and keeping this as one to use if he ever gets really really bad again as like a one of 'treatment' seeing as it seems to have relieved his skin for now, thus using the aloe one which is gentler for more 'frequent' use.

Thank you for all your help :eek:

12. Sled dog hotel

You can buy both the coatex and the coatex aloe vera on line without a prescription, if your paying for it yourself and its not part of an insurance claim then you will probably save yourself money, neither need a prescription either.

I suppose you could use both, the medicated more infrequently and the aloe vera inbetween that's gentler and moisturising if he does have an itchy spell and you think it may be too stripping to use too soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice