Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

CO2 tablets for plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants & Planted Aquariums' started by Dragonlady, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Dragonlady

Dragonlady PetForums Member

Has anybody tried them? Will they work for a smaller tank (64l)? Are they harmless as all manufacturers state?
    I bought 3 packs to start my own trial but please share any experience.
    Thanks.:D

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Never tried them myself, but the general consensus I've seen on forums seems to be that they're not that great - expensive, not particularly effective and cause CO2 levels to fluctuate, which isn't great for plants or fish. Example of a thread: Sera CO2 Tablets

What plants are you trying to grow? If they're fairly easy plants, I'd go with a daily dose of easycarbo or another brand of liquid carbon. That's what I use, and my plants are doing well :)

3. Dragonlady

Plants are doing well, I even need to cut some of them after only one month as they are growing out of the tank:))))
    I've got 3x anubias, 2 vallisneria, bacopa, cabomba, ludwigia repens, water wisteria, egeria densa and pistias as floating plants - all in 64l. I love plants.

The problem is with water ph as all the plant growth has increased ph. My tap water has approx. 8.2 and now it's even slightly higher even if I add liquid carbon.
    Not sure if alder cones will lower much of ph. The only solution will be additional gas CO2 if I want to keep this amount of weeds.
    It the tank were bigger I'd fill the filter with peat granulate but the filter is too small.

4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

How hard is your water? I also have pH 8 out of the tap, but because it's hard water, there's not much I could do to the tank that would either raise or lower the pH. I have a fair few plants myself (though not quite as many as you!) and also several bits of bogwood (initially added in an attempt to lower the pH slightly), and the pH in my tank is between 7.8 and 8.

Again I've not tried them, but from what I've read about alder cones, they can make a quite significant difference in softer water, as can Indian almond leaves (another option to possibly consider). If you have hard water, I don't think much will affect it either way!

If you do have soft water, I'd be very cautious about how to use the cones/leaves etc so as not to cause pH swings - I'm sure you knew that already, but thought it was worth a mention just in case :)

5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I set up a diy co2 diffuser using a plastic water bottle with a pipe coming from hole in the lid filled with yeast and sugar mix on my 15L plant / shrimp tank (before shrimp addition) as an experiment. I adjusted the flow rate using a valve at the end of the tubing.

It worked a treat on the plants and I got some amazing growth. The downside was that the flow rate was dependent on temperature (though that was resolved with a heat mat) and on the amount of yeast / sugar present over time.

It ended up being relatively labour intensive to keep swapping the bottles to ensure a steady supply of Co2 and making adjustments to the valve to fine tune the flow rate. I also suffered a massive algae bloom due to getting the wrong ratios of co2 / light / nutrients when i didnt swap the bottle soon enough. On the plus side it was very cheap to run and when I pulled a plug on the experiment, the introduced shrimp loved the green algae :D and i used liquid carbon instead.

My pH is 8 and the co2 bottles brought it down to about 6.7. However i wasnt prepared to risk livestock with it until i could get more consistency from it. I have heard of people using this method successfully but on a larger scale

#5 kittih, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  6. Dragonlady

Alder cones delivery arrived today;) and I will be able to say more in a couple of days. It won't definitely harm and I also found in many different places very positive reviews on the cones. A moment ago, I put first two cones and hopefully they won't dye water too much. Later I can add more.

Hehe, I've got already two almond leaves in my tank - more for it's antibacterial effects but they can slightly lower ph.

I'm really curious how alder cones effect the water quality and pH. Even if they don't lower pH, they've got a beneficial influence on fish, similar to almond leaves.

If somebody is looking for a very cheap option oak leaves work too and European breeders use them in breeding tank to protect fry against fungus and bacteria. Next year, I'll try to find an oak tree in an unpolluted place.

Btw, my water hardness is: GH - 8d, KH - 15 or 20d (not sure as I used a stripe test)

To be honest with you, I'm still learning how the water hardness GH and KH influence pH and my objective at the beginning is not to cause big swings and just slightly lower ph.

7. Dragonlady

CO2 bottles are my other thought to start an see how it works. It's cheap but a little annoying to change the bottles. On the other site, I like to experiment a little.:D Let's see. First, I'll test alder cones. This study looks quite impressive: Alder cones - How alder cones affect pH and color in aquarium water

8. Pasuded

Pasuded Banned

My first cousin twice removed swears by API C02 Booster. It's an easy-dose liquid carbon source for growing lush aquarium plants. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice