Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

CM/DW Controversy - What to call the followers?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by RobD-BCactive, Apr 19, 2011.

1. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Having seen some followers of ueber Pack Leader Milan, I am searching for a concise word or phrase for those strict followers of Cesar's way ie those who's leadership means following uncritically rules promoted by the great TV prophet of dog rehabilitation.

Obviously, something pithy and witty would be preferred, that bursts the bubble :)

Having seen Junior, nip at a clients French Bulldog (ie small) without any apparent provocation, and also flinch fearfully as Cesar corrected a client's dog, I could do with some funny controversy, and we haven't had a CM/DW thread for at least a week or so (last was the Dog Kicker I think).

2. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Why would you want to call them anything?Are you that bored?:rolleyes:

3. RobD-BCactive

Because an understandable shorthand would be convenient, when describing those trying to follow DW's techniques "without consulting a professional".

As a group, they have certain beliefs, and it can be quite funny as shown by the Alpha Dog thread discussing the "case study" on website dogbreedinfo written by a Cesar fanatic.

Someone will come up with something funny & creative, eventually :)

He had one of his owners, doing the foot "tap" on her small dog, whilst looking forward in this show, and he seemed more concerned about which way her body was facing, on exactly where she was aiming. Given the difficulty of meeting the conditions for effective punishment, this practice would seem very likely to backfire (even if Cesar's timing and aim is perfect in every incident).

Put this down to an example of repressed "displacement aggression" if you like, Janice :)

#3 RobD-BCactive, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  4. keirk

keirk PetForums Member

Lets call them fellow dog lovers, whose search to find a way to better understand their friends has led them to this forum, on which they find good advice and a open and friendly atmosphere which will encourage to find a more positive track ;)

5. Andromeda

Andromeda PetForums Senior

Packies? :D

Like fallow my-CM pack.

6. RobD-BCactive

Funny but too naughty! That would get us in trouble.
    I had thought of things like "proto-Cesar's", but it's not quite right.

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I can only think of things that are very rude at the moment, Rob. Give me time.
    What about TV sheep or Millan Sheep? People who believe everything they see on tv without question.

Probably not what you are looking for.

8. millans moonies

9. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I like that DT. could catch on!

10. grandad

grandad PetForums VIP

Why don't you have shorthand for all dog programmes

DW
    WD
    IMOTDUK
    IMOTDUSA
    DP
    1M&HD

ETC ETC.

I watch a lot of dog programmes, but i wouldn't say I was a TV sheep or sheep of any kind.

11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

We are talking about people who follow Caesar Millan's methods to the letter without question, thinking that he must know because he is on the telly. We are not talking about people who have the sense to watch all dog training programmes and make up their own minds.

So nobody is calling you a sheep.

12. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Czars? (as in autocratic).

13. odin

odin PetForums Newbie

milangelists (because its like a cult/religion and hes the messiah)

not meant to offend and not talking about everyone who watches the show but some people see that man as a god

14. grandad

grandad PetForums VIP

15. grandad

grandad PetForums VIP

16. grandad

grandad PetForums VIP

Does this mean I can watch Cesar Milan and make up my own mind? Or I am likely to get lambasted for admitting I do?

17. RobD-BCactive

I watch it grandad, partly because Cesar gets bitten alot.

18. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Nobody is telling anybody what they should or should not watch; that would be totally inappropriate. A lot of members on here watch his show regularly and take a lot of his advice, but like you they make up their own minds about what is worth following and what is just rubbish. It is good to watch and make up your own mind, but that is not what the general population of dog owners do. They try to do everything like he does and end up with a dog a lot worse off than he was to start.

I made up my mind about him a long time ago and I refuse to watch as it just irritates the hell out of me. The idea that you can hook a dog's tail up with his lead to make him feel happy is bizarre and laughable.

All you need do is click on the quote button at the bottom of the post and it will encase the quote in pretty green and take you to the reply box.

19. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Grandad - the funny thing is, most of the people on here who are against CM DO watch his show, have read his books etc. They know what he does, what theories he preaches etc. They have indeed made up their own minds - and stuck to the alternatives.

On the other hand, in my experience, many of CMs most ardent followers have never looked at the alternatives. They haven't bothered to watch any other training / behaviour shows or clips, haven't read books by the R+ folks. There have been a few threads on here before where some members have openly admitted they have never read a single book on dog behaviour - yet believe everything CM tells them on the telly.

Personally, I believe people should watch CM - as well as various other trainers. Getting a complete picture, looking at both sides, and researching into the pros and cons, and evidence behind each, is the only way to form a considered opinion. Otherwise its just blind faith.

20. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

Can't think of anything witty since you can do the same for anybody who lavishly follows and tries to copy what they see on TV.

You can all be called "dogmatic" in some form or another

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice