Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Clumping cat litter!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by milliemouse, May 23, 2019.

1. milliemouse

milliemouse PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for clumping cat litter. I was previously using the pets at home brand non-clumping wood pellets because they are very affordable.. however, since it is non-clumping I'm finding myself emptying out the whole litter box every couple of days and starting fresh. So really it's not actually that cost-effective for my 2 cat household because I am going through around 30litres of the stuff per week.

I have heard good things about the worlds best cat litter but its quite pricey. If it lasts longer and is worth the money I will probably go with it but if anyone has any budget friendly suggestions I would love to hear them!

Many thanks in advance :)

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Worlds Best is brilliant! Buy it from Zooplus UK in bulk to get best value for money.

Second best is Super Benek corn based litter. Tracks more than WB but is a good bit cheaper to buy. Also from Zooplus.

milliemouse likes this.
  3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Wood pellets are not meant for regular trays, they need a sieve tray to work effectively - then they’re extremely economical. No dust, no odour, no tracking, I’d not use anything else :)

milliemouse, Jannor and lorilu like this.
  4. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

Another ‘Super Benek’ user here.
    I buy it from Zooplus, hardly any tracking,

I’ve also just tried the new clumping biodegradable litter from catsan, which I brought from Pets at home. Bit more expensive than Super Benek but I’m finding it pretty good & both cats are happy, less tracking as well.

#4 ebonycat, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I wouldn't recommend corn based litter. Your house will smell like a barn, you risk the cats eating it (diarrhea all over the house!) and you risk mold and bugs. These were my experiences.

Pine pellets work best with a sifting box. It's a two layer system, as the pellets break down from moisture the sawdust drops through the grate into the lower part of the box, then you aren't wasting litter.

Google sifting litter boxes. Amazon has many choices. Read the reviews. :)

EDIT Oops, I see @spotty cats beat me to it. :D

milliemouse and spotty cats like this.
  6. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

I as most of us on here have tried every cat litter known to man! First started out on wood pellets and found the same as you, that it's not so "cheap" when you are having to do a full change every day. Moved the boys on to clay based litters and although they were well received, they are heavy, set like concrete on the tray and can be dusty.

If your cats will use pellets ok then my two suggestions would be either a) try a sieve based system (Brit-pet is one but other brands are cheaper if you want to see if it works for you first), The other option is something like Cats Best smart pellets which is basically a clumping version of what you are using. Personally, I use Cats Best smart pellets mixed with Worlds Best (WB as recommended by @chillminx) believe me I really, REALLY have tried tons of different litters from normal Catsan (never again) through the list on Zooplus and so far I love this combination.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...c-wood-clumping-cat-litter-(online-exclusive)

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/worlds-best-cat-litter-original

At first glance it looks expensive but it does last ages!!

milliemouse likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@lorilu - I remember from previous threads on the topic of cat litter your experience and mine with corn based litters have been diametrically opposed.:)

lorilu likes this.
  8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I haven’t used corn litter in over 15 years but also found the smell was awful and kittens ate it.

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I love the smell of corn litter, it reminds me nostalgically of wonderful childhood holidays on the farm, with my sisters and me romping around on the hayricks! :D

Those were the days! All gone now,....:Bawling

10. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

I'm a fan of Super Benek Corn, not found it makes my home smell like a barn but I'm not sure if it's corn based or wood based? Anyway, I've found it clumps really well and doesn't track too much. I found wood pellets stuck to my cats' fluffy trousers, but that could just be the brands I was using

11. milliemouse

Oh wow I had no idea. Thank you for this, very helpful to know :)

12. milliemouse

Ahh thank you for all of the feedback @chillminx @spotty cats @ebonycat @lorilu @Ali71 @Rufus15 I really appreciate the help.

I went for the 'Cats best Oko Plus' in the end as I thought it was good value for money on Zooplus, so I'll give that a go. If that doesn't work out I think I will try the 'Worlds best' before buying new sifting litter boxes, they currently have the catit jumbo ones which I'm finding really easy to clean out and maintain.

Although I have read bad reviews on the worlds best saying that something has changed with it and it is now really dusty? Willing to try it regardless but just wondered if anyone here has experienced that?

13. Rufus15

I've not tried WB but used OKO since 2010. I used it right up until 2016, and changed when they changed it - it stank of pee, the clumps fell apart, it tracked much worse and it tracked pretty badly already.

Hopefully they've improved it again in the last 3 years

14. milliemouse

Oh is that so, that's a shame. It was the recent reviews on the WB that swayed my purchase towards Oko so it will be interesting to see what it's like. I'm hoping that my cats wont have any issue going from pellets to Oko as the texture looks very different.

15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

No matter what litter you use, it's infuriating, if not devastating, when the makers change it or discontinue it isn't it? When I first switched to clumping litter in 2011, I tried so many before I found one that I and the cats really liked. Including corn based litters, pine litters, and other materials. I decided early on in my search that I would not be using food based products for cat litter, including safflower seed litter.

So I found the Cat's Pride Natural and liked it. It's been a great litter all these years then the company discontinued it, focusing only on their "light" litter formulas. All of which I find hideous.

So I had to start all over again but I decided to rule out products I already tried 8 years ago, and try Dr Elsey's Precious Cat Plus first, since I know someone who swears by it. The Precious Cat Plus was a hit right away with me and the cats so it seems Cat's Pride did me a favor. I would prefer to use SmartCat grass litter exclusively but I have only one cat who will use it, and that only infrequently.

I would use pine with sifting boxes if they liked it, but they don't. I do use pine pellet litter for deodorizing though. I throw a handful in the dirty litter bag, and in the the little sealed baggies I scoop the poop into. Keeps my trash can a bit fresher.

#15 lorilu, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    milliemouse and Ali71 like this.
  16. Rufus15

Yes! I genuinely cried when OKO changed, it had done me so well and it was a nightmare going through various different ones to find something that works. The whole process fills you with dread, doesn't it.

lorilu likes this.
  17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I have noticed a difference in the bags of WB Original I bought from ZP recently. It's a slightly darker colour, has an earthier smell and seems more gritty somehow. I haven't found it more dusty than before; it still clumps just as well, with minimal tracking.

milliemouse likes this.
  18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That sums it up perfectly. I got lucky on my first try with a replacement this time. I was also lucky that I am in the habit of stocking up and had plenty of my old brand for transitioning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice