Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Clue as to breed

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by BethanMay, Aug 17, 2009.

1. BethanMay

BethanMay PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone

**UPDATE**

I just want to thank everyone who has commented on the post and said how cute the kitts are ^^ thanks also for all the suggestions. Watch this space (or, more appropriately, the gallery space) for updates. By the By, the pics below of the kittens were taken when they were two days old. so you can expect plenty more!

*******************************************************************************

our cat Tabitha gave birth to her first litter on Saturday. Although we were expecting the kittens not necessarily to look like their mum, none of them do! Yet they all look much alike, which again we were not expecting:

[​IMG]

and mum looks like this!! :

[​IMG]

we have no idea what breed Tabitha is, we had her from a friend of a friend whose cat had kittens ...

But basically i was wondering if anyone might have any ideas? we've had so many people comment so far, some people think Tabitha might be Bengal, and people have commented that the kittens look to have Himalayan or even seal-point colourings. But i found a pic of some adorable kittens on this forum that have similar markings and they are ragdolls!

So as you can see, i am clueless!!

Thanks for any input,

BethanMay, Ken, Tabs and babies

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#1 BethanMay, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Dont have a clue, but they are so damn cute!!!!!!!

3. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

Me niether but they are adorable! :D

4. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i would rule out bengal. whatever she is she is stunning and her babies are really adoreable keep us updated with pics please :D

5. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

I absolutely love these kittens!! They are so unusual and what a shock because they are absolutely nothing like their mum!!!

"Merlins mum" should be on later and she has extensive knowledge on colours and how they can be produced.

Im sure somebody will be here shortly with different theories!!

You must be so proud:001_wub::001_wub:

6. oh my goodness!

They are adorable!

Sorry i cant help fully

Mum is a spotted tabby - which could indicate bengal, but the coat pattern does occur in moggies too

Dad - well he's gotta be a looker!

can i have the one with the darker points to the face PPPUURRRRLLLEEEAAASSSEEE?

7. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Tabitha looks like a lovely moggie to me, but I'm amazed she's produced those colours! I'd love to see what the daddy looks like! Those kittens are adorable :001_wub: xx

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Mum is a moggy - not bengal but very pretty - dad is probably a colour point something or something cross to have produced such lovely kitens - I would guess at a darker point (black/seal) for the kitts to already be showing colour. They may change as they grow. Lots of different breeds have colour points but the true colour points are born pure white and the colour slowly develops over the first few weeks. The kits aren't a breed as neither mum and dad (as far as we know) as registered pedigrees with ancestors known for generations - and cross breeds are still moggies. I bet these kits get snapped up quick they are that lovely.

9. Rraa

Rraa PetForums VIP

I'm with Dozymoo on this one - lovely mum, lovely babies, wonder what Daddy looks like? Sending purry kisses. :D:p

10. clueless

clueless Banned

My little Moggie looks alot like yours but she is Grey in colour. I am lovin those kittties just gorgeous

11. kelseye

kelseye Banned

they are so beautfull the colour of them is somethink else :)

12. BethanMay

lol thankyou! ^^

13. sootisox

sootisox PetForums Senior

They are little stunners! I also think that daddy cat was a colourpoint. My babies are all born white with their colours coming through during week 2 (Ragdoll). I'd love to see how they develop! we need more pics!

14. BethanMay

lol pics will be up i promise!!

15. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I dont think shes a bengal at all her coat is too long by the looks of it.

But she is pretty as are the kittens

16. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Oooh aren't they unusual! It'll be fun seeing these develop and what they do eventually turn into.

If they were born on Saturday that's only a few days - the Siamese I bred were still white at that age with no sign of the points coming in. That's not to rule out the possibility that other colourpoint breeds might get theirs earlier.

Something does ring a bell though... the kittens are kind of silvery-looking but you can see vague tabby marks on the head, and if I'm not mistaken, the coat looks dark at the base? I've heard of something like this before and did have a cross-bred litter years ago with something like it. For some unknown reason the kits (all tabby) had a very unusual silver wash over their coats when born. It was nothing I'd ever heard of or encountered before but have heard of again since.

When the kittens got older, the silver disappeared and they became normal "brown" i.e. black/grey/sandy tabbies.

Some could be colourpoint anyway - no reason why not, if both parents carried the gene. It would be unusual to have a whole litter colourpointed where Mum isn't one herself, but stranger things have happened! It's the old "Sweeties in the Bag" random effect on genes... where you can put 5 red, 5 yellow, 5 green sweets in a bag and randomly pick 5 - you can sometimes end up picking all red!

Please do keep us updated, will be very interesting to see what these little lovelies turn out to be :)

17. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh they are stunning!!! if she had been my cat i would never have expected kittens her colour. ive got a tortie tabby due next week and im just expecting tabbys! they are gorgeous. well done to you and mum.

18. BethanMay

well they could turn out to be any colour it seems! good luck - keep us up to date with how she is! x

19. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

They do look unusual but striking - keep posting the photos so we can see how they turn out.:D

20. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Gosh they are unusual! They look silver to me - and very highly silvered too. The combination of that with the darker points is fascinating and I am trying to work out how you would possibly get that, I could understand one or two if both parents carry colourpoint, but you seem to have the whole litter with darker points. I am trying to work out what breed you might have that would be both silver and colourpointed because that I think is what Dad must be. Could I post the picture elsewhere and see if anyone has any ideas?

Liz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice