Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cloudy green water build up

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Ukeray60, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Ukeray60

Ukeray60 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have had my cold-water tank running fine for several years. but recently the water is turning. a cloudy green quite rapidly. My filter is an Interpet PF3. 120L Tank. Have tried partial and full draining. Using Prime Conditioner, API Accu-clear, and Easy-Life Algexit with no success
    Used Pro JBL test kit, the only negative results were - CO2 <15, Nitrate NO2 - 0,25mg/l and NO3 - 50mg/l.

The only thing different in recent months was the addition of some Java Fern.

Hope you can help

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Is the tank in a very sunny position? The Java fern may have introduced algae to your tank. Where there is lots of sunlight the algae will flourish. It should all sort itself out on its own but if not reduce natural sunlight exposure to the tank and put 3 hours intervals of darkness into your lighting regime.

3. Ukeray60

Ukeray60 PetForums Newbie

The tank is out of direct sunlight and have been turning the light off from 22.00 - 1300hrs. A week after cleaning the water is quite green. Should I drain and refill again?

I took most of the Java Fern out and the day after cleaning noticed a slight clouding so removed the 2 remaining blocks but it has made no difference.

4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

I'd reduce the lighting period, or add a 2-3 hour break as kittih advises. 1300 to 2200 is quite a long time. One of my tanks had loads of algae problems till I reduced the lighting to 5 hours (3 on, then 2 off, then another 2 on) which helped a lot. (That particular tank gets a lot of natural light too, though.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice