Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cloudy eyes

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kareng, Aug 18, 2009.

1. kareng

kareng PetForums Senior

Just noticed this morning that my GSD has cloudy eyes.
    Never noticed it before now. What could it be?
    Please help!
    Thanks.

2. rona

rona Guest

How old is she?
    It could be cataracts

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How old is your dog?

Many will get cloudy eyes due to old age, other due to cataracts. Severe eye infections can also cause problems, as can ulcers.

If you are worried, pop to your vets.

4. kareng

kareng PetForums Senior

She is roughly 2.
    We have only had her since January.

I always thought i could notice one eye a bit cloudy, especially in photos, but never thought anything of it, as it was only a tad, and you couldnt notice it all the time, and just notcied today both are.
    Its a bit worrying.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

She is rather young.

Id pop her to the vets. Would be an idea to have some blood tests done, as certain problems with organs such as the pancreas can affect the eyes.

Could be something, could be nothing.

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I dont know what this is but a few years ago one of mine had this happen, his was one eye very cloudy, a sort of pearly colour if you know what i mean it looked like he was blind, i got some warm milk and cotton wool and poured a little into his eye and wiped downwards, repeated it about 3/4 times and it had gone he never had it again.

7. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Hi there, my collie cross is 12 yr old and his eye started going cloudy about 1 yr ago, he is loosing his sight, but as he used to have fits the vet wouldnt do an operation as he wouldnt take the anethsetic. so he is doing well in our home and out walking, he takes his time getting around. You dog is very young for this, but you never know, it is like humans we all start having eye problems when some of us are young, so your dog could be the same, take him to the vets and they will tell you, and explain what could be done for him, If it is Cateracts (how ever you spell it lol) your dog is still young enought to get treatment.
    Hope you find out what it is soon. xxxxxxxxx

8. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

See your vet it may only be a simple thing like dry eye which can be sorted with drops.

9. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

what are you feeding? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice