Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

clippers leaving a jagged look!!! What am I doing wrong???

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by groomers82, Apr 4, 2011.

1. groomers82

groomers82 PetForums Junior

Hello everyone,

When I was at crufts I purchased the Wahl Switchblade clipper with a 5f, 7f 8.5 and a 10 blade and some metal clipper guards...

Everytime I just use the switchblade with a blade it either clips too much off or leaves a really bad jagged look.... It doesn't look straight?

I don't know whether its me, am I pushing the clipper doen to much?? Am I doing it too fast, What can I be doing wrong??

I clean my clippers after every use and I oil my blades after every use... All my blades are brand new and so are my clippers so it can't be them can it?

Its really frustrating because I always have to end up using my clipper guards which never take enough off... So can someone guide me or tell me how I can use this switchblade with just the blades... When I was training i used the switchblade and the dogs coat looked fine...

What am I doing wrong???

Please can someone help me.

Many thanks.

2. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

What dog are you using them on? I sometimes find that when I use a 5FC on a Westie it comes out awful, there are clipper lines everywhere but usually after a bath and dry out the blade gets through better.
    Also are your blades definitely sharp? I know they should be as they are newly bought however we recently got a new pair of clippers at the Salon and a new 7 wide blade and it was blunt, couldn't get it through anything.

3. groomers82

a 5f on a westie looks dredful when I've just used a blade... Yes theres clipper lines everywhere, But I always bath and dry the dog first... Is this what you do??

But no matter what number blade im useing they still leave clipper lines... could I be holding the clippers a wrong way?

Yes the blades are sharp... I'm starting to really panic about it, Because all I want is to make the dogs look lovely and everytime I use the clippers/comb attachments I get scared because I think it'll look dredful.

4. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Do you have any pictures? We do a pre-bath clip, bath and dry and then a finishing clip. I hate doing clips without a bath, it can help loosen the hair, making the clip nice, though some Westies just have an awful top coat lol.
    Are you pressing the blade onto the skin?

5. groomers82

I have no pictures - sorry.

Yes I think thats what im doing, I hold the clipper at the front end (where the blade is) and i rest it on the dogs coat and just glide across, But it doesn't glide it just pulls and then that leaves the coat looking jagged, short and untidy ....

Is it me do you think?? am i doing it wrong??

6. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Sounds like the blades are catching on the hair.. which is either the blade is blunt or it needs cleaned... Do you use Blade wash?

7. groomers82

Yes see thats what it feels like, Yes I have blade wash... But every day i oil my blades and clean my clippers (maiking sure there hair free)

I ake blade out and really give it a good brush and oil...??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice