Clippers - Anyone got a recommendation?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Fleur, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

I use Andis too, they are much lighter and less clumsy that Oster and don't get so hot to hold and the two speed models are excellent :)

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Thx for all the advice everyone - I checked out locally and couldn't find anyone who stocked any clippers apart from the £30 Whals.
    So I've gone for it and odered the Moser Switch Blade :thumbup:
    I'll let you know how we get on in a couple of weeks:scared:

3. Fleur

The clippers just arrived - Moser Switchblades - so I got them straight out and gave Lilly a once over.
    They were brilliant :thumbup:
    I just gave her a quick all over cut - except face and tail - and it took 15 minutes.
    I need to go back over and tidy her up a bit - but with the old cheap clippers even to get to this stage would of taken an hour.
    It was like a hot knife through butter :D
    I got the metal combs as well and they fit well and I was more confident that I wouldn't nick her skin also they will be good for using different lengths for tidying up their tails and faces.
    Just wanted to say thanks for all your advice - they are definately worth the investment.

4. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Mine are Wahl clippers, I don't do it professionally but I do cut 3 peoples dogs and they always look good, if I was doing it on a regular professional basis I'd buy the ones recomended on this thread.
    The Wahl ones are great, quite heavy but i like that in a clipper....it's got lotsof attatchments and combs with it so I can adjust to different parts of the dog, I also have the smaller trimmers by the same company and they're great for faces and paws/ leg area. They cost 30 pounds and my local pet shop orderd them in for me.
    Clare xx

5. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Thats great news!

6. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yay! Lovely!!

How do you find the speed dial on them? Did you start on a low speed or just crank it up from the start? LOL

I was feeling a bit cocky when I first used mine so used them on full speed straight away.... good job I was trying them on my own dog, she's still got a few baldy/uneven patches and it was back in March :lol: :lol: I use them on low/mid speed now and haven't skinned anything since LOL :eek:

7. Fleur

I managed to knock it up to full speed by accident :eek: so she has a bit of 'dip' on her back :lol:
    With a bit of practice I should be OK using low/mid speed - I'm using Lilly to test them out as she's much more laid back than Zipper.

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yes, I knock the speed dial thing occasionally, it's a bit annoying isn't it! Bit of a design fault putting it there, I think.

But I think the positives outweigh the negatives :)

9. Connie0325

Connie0325 PetForums Newbie

10. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I personally only like "branded" clippers. I always think with clippers that you pay what you get for... cheaper clippers generally aren't as good as the more expensive branded (oster mosley wahl etc) which generally will last a lifetime.

11. Fleur

All I can say is I ha a pair of cheap clippers and I used them on 2 small dogs 4 times a year and it was a stuggle to clip their coats - I bought the mosers as recommended by members on here and they have been fantastic.

12. findley

findley PetForums Member

Oster all the way. They stay cool, they do not viabrate, not noisy. The higher the number the shorter the clip with Osters.:)

13. allanm

allanm PetForums Newbie

if i have any info related to this i will help you

14. Anna Barton

Anna Barton PetForums Newbie

Dog parents and professional use the best dog clippers to groom their 4-leged friend. It is important to groom dog’s fur with the best clippers to give them a great look. If your dog’s coat is thick and heavy then it will spend the entire summer being too uncomfortable. A set of professional dog clippers allows you to trim your dog’s coat so that it remains comfortable without all that fur getting in the way.

Dogs deserve to look good too, but over than the look, dogs deserve to feel good and comfortable. So it’s essential to give them proper grooming every season. There are many clippers which you can use for grooming your dog. But finding which clippers are the best dog clippers is a daunting task, as there are many clippers in the market which claims to be the best clippers.