Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Clippers - Anyone got a recommendation?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Fleur, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Can anyone recommend a decent set of clippers that won't break the bank.

I've currently got a pair of mains operated Wahl (not sure which model)
    But I find they don't cut very well - they seem to get clogged up very quickly.

Especially when clipping Lilly as her fur is very thick - she's only tiny so god knows how someone with a bigger dog would manage.

Also I find them a bit bulky when trying to trim Lilly's legs.

I like to trim her pretty short in the body and legs, then I scissor her feet, face and tail.

Thanks for your help.

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Any Osters I would highly recommend. I love them.

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Osters are great.

4. Fleur

Thanks guys - I've had a look and the cheapest ones are £107 and come with a number 10 blade.
    Do you know what length number 10 is I currently use a 3mm conmb on the Wahls (although they don't cut as close as I would expect so probably don't need it that short on a decent pair of clippers)

I've saw some Andis MBG2 Pro-Pet Clippers - when I was looking up Osters for £65, has anyone had any experience of these?

Another question - the osters and the Andis use the blades direct I think the Wahls have combs covering the blades, I'm worried about nicking the dogs skin using clippers without them, is this a problem?

Thanks again for all your help.

5. Chesben

Chesben PetForums Member

I have moser switchblades which I love but haven't used others so can't comment on those. The best thing to do is buy the wahl stainless steel comb attachments and then you can get a range of lenghts. The 10 blade cuts very short, I wouldn't use that direct but I think the comb attchments can be used over this blade. I use my combs over a 40 blade but I'm pretty sure you can use them on a 10 too.

Fleur likes this.
  6. Vicky86

Vicky86 PetForums Newbie

7. Gingerlass27

Gingerlass27 PetForums Newbie

Another vote here for the Moser Switchblade :thumbup:

8. Fleur

Thanks guys - I think I need to save some more pennies and go for the more expensive ones.
    I'm sure it'll be more economic in the long run. - Although I've just noticed a pair of basic Osters for £65.95 Oster Pilot What do you all think?

I like the look of the metal comb attatchments as well, I think they will reassure me so I don't clip to short or catch their skin.

So I just need to decide between Oster or Moser now:confused:

This site seems to have pretty good prices - just need to work out which ones are for me Buy Dog Grooming Supplies online at guaranteed low prices.

#8 Fleur, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  9. Chesben

Chesben PetForums Member

Can you get to somewhere, where you can try them in your hand? I got mine at a dog show as I could try them in your hand. I found the osters quite bulky while the mosers were more comfortable. Although in saying that loads of people have osters and love them. I would think in terms of cutting the andis, oster and mosers would be all the same but depends on how comfortable they are. I have heard the osters can heat quite quickly though. I would recommend going for a more expensive set - approx £100-130 as they really will last.

I had decided I was going to get the andis 2 speed but after chatting with the sales woman and trying them I opted for the switchblades and like them so no regrets.

10. Fleur

I think that fact I haven't held them is what's stopping me ordering some - stupidly I was at crufts and didn't even think of looking at clippers there.:rolleyes:

I'm not in a hurry so maybe I'll have a look to see if there are any shows locally soon and see if I can have a try before I buy.
    Thanks for the advice.

11. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yay! Fellow Switchblade users!!

I have the Switchblades too, they're my first pair of clippers and they are FANTASTIC. You can use pretty much any make of blade on them and they have an adjustable speed dial on them, so if you're not confident the first time you use them, you can start off nice and slow. They're also a very comfortable shape and I find them very easy & comfy to hold and I have tiny hands. I specifically went for some that were easy to hold and found that the Switchblades were the best, and they do a fantastic job :)

They are not cheap but you've gotta bear in mind that you really do 'get what you pay for' with clippers. Any under £80 I would not even consider.

Another good ones are the Andis AGC clippers - they are slightly cheaper and just as good quality. The groomer I work for uses them profesionally in her business and they always do a top job :) the only reason I chose the Switchblade over them is the fact that I have small hands and the Andis make my hands hurt after a while.

#11 Tigerneko, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
    Fleur likes this.
  12. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hmm im looking for some new clippers at the moment, so found this thread very useful.:thumbup:..:thumbup:

13. Fleur

I have small dogs - so it sounds like the Moser would be better.

It's a shame they don't seem to be stocked in any petshops.

I think I may have to bite the bullet and order some online, as I can't find any dog shows locally to visit any trade stands.

14. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

A lot of saddleries stock the moser

15. Blissful Dog Groomer

Blissful Dog Groomer PetForums Member

Hi i use andis clippers there fairly cheap compared to some others and are also quite light to hold :)

Fleur likes this.
  16. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yeah, it's a shame Crufts isn't closer because you will get some marvellous deals on clippers there - all the suppliers were in competition with one another and I managed to get the Switchblades for £115 AND a free blade! Couldn't believe it :D

If you're interested in the Switchblades I can send you a document I made on MS Word which lists all the suppliers I could find on the net and what prices they sell them at, saves a lot of time searching! It helped me loads when I was looking for a good deal at Crufts lol

17. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yeah I find the Andis to be slightly lighter to hold than my Switchblades but their chunky shape just put a bit too much strain on my hands, shame they're not a more hand-friendly shape otherwise I'd probably have bought the AGC's.

18. Fleur

I wonder if they have them at Scats - there is one quite close, I'll have a look next week.

I was at Crufts - but was so excited I forgot about looking at clippers.:eek:
    The list would be great thanks :thumbup:
    I found this site that has some for £108 Buy Moser Switchblade Clipper Kit Online

If I decide to order them is it worth getting the metal comb attatchments? as I'm worried about knicking the dogs Wahl Predator Comb Set - Pet Supplies from PET SUPERMARKET TM the uk's #1 Online pet store

Thank you so much for all your help guys :thumbup:

19. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I think that's the best price i've seen them for so far then! The cheapest i'd found them for when I was researching was £117 by a company called Clippers HG, was gonna order from them but waited until Crufts! hehe its such an exciting day though, stuff just goes out of your head doesn't it! Me and my friend made a ridiculously long shopping list before we went so that we were able to get excited and forget it all without too much worry lol and i'd been waiting for a few months to get my clippers from there so I couldn't have forgotten lol!

Yeah, the Switchblades are perfectly good. I went on a Grooming forum to ask about them, but the forum was part of an online shop which mainly sells Laube clippers, so pretty much all the members on there were like "NO GET THE LAUBE ONES" and were really kinda trying to push me into buying them so I swiftly left that forum as it was kinda obvious they were just trying to sell me stuff from the shop associated with the forum :rolleyes: and the Laube clippers were silly money and were bright yellow and black.... they looked like a bloomin JCB!!

Tbh I don't know a lot about attachment combs as i've never used them yet... I think they tend to leave the coat longer than what the main blade is. I wouldn't worry too much about nicking the dogs, it's very rare it happens. The only place you've gotta be really careful is around the skin in the 'armpit' areas of the legs as it's usually very exposed and the skin is fragile and thin so can be nicked if you're not really careful around there, but 99% of the body is easy peasy to clip without harming them! Their coats are thicker than you think and you'd have to be cutting very, very short to get through to their skin lol! As long as you hold the blade 'flat' as you're going along the coat rather than with the blades edge pointing into the dog, you shouldn't cause any cuts or anything :)

#19 Tigerneko, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  20. Chesben

Chesben PetForums Member

Thats really good price for the switcheblades. As for the combs I do have them but not to protect them from nicking, its more as I like the coat to be a longer length than a blade can do but really depends on the length of coat you want left. As previous poster said it is quite difficult to nick them and doesn't happen often. just have to be careful for certain areas of the body. Good luck with your shopping!:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice