Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Clipped Golden Retriever

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by babycham2002, Apr 2, 2011.

1. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Saw one today
    :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

Said its cos she swims all the time, Willow swims every day too. Would never even consider cutting her hair

I dunno, it takes all types!!

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

We have one round here that is clipped every few months too :(

Its because it makes his coat more manageable :rolleyes:

3. babycham2002

I really dunno, it just boggles my mind!
    Its very common in America I know

My understanding is that in a double coated breed the top coat traps cooler air against the body and keeps them cool
    By cutting top and bottom coats right down it just means its the same thickness as such just all close to the skin thereby making them hotter :confused:

4. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Aye that's right. Think P/G is probably right about it being more manageable for her :(

xxxxxxxxx

ps :001_wub: :lol: xxxxxxx

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

There's a BC round here who's regularly clipped. Trouble is he doesn't really look like a BC but he's a very lucky bot and is always out with his mum, never seen her out without him. :)

6. babycham2002

Now Willow has finished blowing her coat its no trouble, now Rockys coat thats unmanageable!!so anyone who thinks a goldie coat is unmanageable is mad.
    Thats like mum said, what they mean is she swims every day so by having it cut. It smells less and is quicker to dry.
    But their outer coat is water repellent anyway, so when Willow swims it doesnt take long to dry. Takes longer if you have to bath or hose her because you work the water right into the inner coat.

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

There are two springers that are clipped short all year round too. Because they require too much grooming!
    Why have a ling haired breed if you can't be bothered to brush him? :(

8. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

It doesn't even take that long to keep on top of it either does it? I suppose it's quicker with Bumby because he's so small but 10 minutes a day keeps him all knot free and such and then the groomers once every six weeks.

People are very odd :lol:

Em
    xx

9. babycham2002

Does bumbs have a double coat too?

We are finding Rockys the powderpuffs hair a pain, brushed every day but we get matts out every single day. :rolleyes:: He looks so pained when he's being groomed but he has one of those faces anyway :) I think he's faking it, both my two loves a good brush.
    Have considered like a teddy bear cut on him but probably won't do it.

Have seen springers and cockers clipped before and never really thought much about it, I think it was the shock of seeing my own breed like it you know! Well I couldnt work out what was wrong to start with!
    Thing is I can kinda understand it with like a spaniel (still wouldnt do it myself but), they have more feathering and are closer to the ground, i can see them getting totally full of debris but really Willows is a brush and go kinda coat, no trouble at all.

10. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

He does! Just in XXS size :eek:

Aye I'd never ever clip him :scared: I'm not even keen on the pom clip so he just stays as he is :lol:

He picks up loads of pap - last year there was a terrible incidence with sticky buds :lol: :lol:

xxxxxxxxx

11. babycham2002

Ooo those burrs are a pain, Percy your lover is a good boy and gets them all out of his feet and crest for me.
    Rocky the little tinker doesnt care and will just sit around and wait for me to do it!
    Bumble is beautiful natural :001_smile:

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have seen spaniels clipped before... but these ones are clipped short like a lab! :(

13. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Of course he does! He'd never go out looking anything less than perfect :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

xxxxxxxxx

EDIT - Bumby says thank youuuu :D

14. babycham2002

ooo I see what you mean. :eek: :blink:

Thats whats this dog today was like, but they thoughtfully had left her feathering :rolleyes:: (she didnt have much anyway)

15. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

It's strange, I kind of agree with you and I would not do it to a Golden Retriever, yet wouldn't hesitate to do clip a Yorkie, different coat types I know!

16. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Would they have had it done at a groomers or just gone crazy with the clippers themselves? i would have thought a groomer would have said about the double coat thing with the gr at least

Em
    xx

#16 Eroswoof, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2011
  17. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I can't for the life of me think why someone would clip a goldie :confused:
    I mean it's not like they've got a really long coat :rolleyes::

18. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I saw a GR clipped like a lion last year for Halloween :eek:

19. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:rolleyes:: What can you say to that :rolleyes::

xxxx

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Not much...couldn't believe my eyes :eek: Why do that to such a beautiful animal? :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice