Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cling film on tattoos?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Patterdale_lover, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

When you got your tattoo did they put cliing film/saran wrap, a gauze or nothing over it?
    How long did you leave it on for?

What results did you get after?

2. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

When a friend of mine had her tattoo done (saw her a few hours later) she had a cling film or suran wrap over it.

Her Tattoo looked very nice after she took it off (it was of a huge turtle done on her side of her belly)

Think she had hers on for four hours maybe, she took it off when I saw her as we went and played a few hours of laser tag.

3. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Cling film.. And was advised to buy and use bepanthen. . which is baby bum creme

Results fab tattoo's

#3 momentofmadness, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  4. Patterdale_lover

This is what ii have been told.

Cling film on for one hour take off and wash the tatt and apply bepanthen

5. momentofmadness

Yep think it was more than an hour for me.. he cleaned and applied something before I left. :)

6. momentofmadness

Ive caught one of mine at work.. and managed to gauge some of the ink out of a letter. :( got to go back anyway so when I do Irl get it filled back in.. :)

7. Patterdale_lover

Awh thats what im worried about cos mine will be on my hip at work i wear an apron, what do i do?

8. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

I've never had one wrapped and they've come out fine but I'm far from the best roll model!

As far as I'm aware they're just supposed to scab over and, considering it's done in an appropriate environment, with a tattooist you trust and whom is disinterested then I think you'll be fine.

:eek: xx

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

cling film for the first couple of hours then nothing let it breath and heal
    if it gets to dry and tight a bit of vasaline is what i have always used mine are fine and the coulur is still good aprt from the ones i caught when i was at work

10. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Yes is the answer!

You leave it on for a good 4 hours but then you need to keep putting vasaline or a moisturiser on it so it doesn't scab badly when it scabs thats when the loss of colour comes in.

My first one faded really quickly becasue i didn't keep is moisturised at the beginning. My second one however i just kept putting aloe vera on it every couple of hours and it still has its colour now. It is just a black one but looks good. my coloured one is fading again now after having it recoloured but i have since found the placei had it done was not using good quility ink so i will go to the new place nad get it redone again! its only 12 years odl so to have to have it recoloured this many times is a nightmare.

#10 candysmum, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  11. Darkstitch

Darkstitch PetForums Member

When my mum got her ankle tattoo done she got a bit of kitchen roll to cover it :eek: Then again the tattooist was in a market in Skeggy, not a proper shop

12. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Hahaha I hear Skegness get a mention and here I am :p

My friend got a tattoo there at 16 and loads of places were up for doing it. There is a decent place in Mablethorpe though :D

13. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

I've had all three of mine covered with cling film for a few days, take cling film off, clean with warm water to get rid of any excess ink apply intensive skin care cream stuff and covered it back over, i did that every few hours amde sure they were all moisturised well :)

different tattooists will tell you different things though :)

14. Patterdale_lover

How odd

I was told that cling film covering it for too long can cause infection as it doesnt let the tattoo breathe and gathers heat so is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria so should be taken off within an hour or two and not to rebandage after that.
    Also been told vaseline is a massive no no as it coats the skin and doesn't let it breathe?

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy PetForums VIP

everyone is diffrent just do what you think is best and dont pick you will be fine

16. nattymariax

nattymariax PetForums Senior

You need to take the clingfilm off after about 4/6 hours...but if it is going to be rubbing against your clothes then put some more on and it will do less harm than having material rubbing against it. I had mine in the summer so I could get away with wearing floaty tops so it didn't rub!x

Adding a bit more...don't put vaseline on it. I used bepanthen until the tube ran out and washed it with sensitive skin shower gel every moring and night to get off all the gooeyness! and mine has turned out lovely and kept all its colour.

Clingfilm does suffocate it, but it will be better than having itchy material chafing against it! more likely for the colour to rub off permanently in the skin plasma if that happens x

17. GoldenShadow

What else besides Bepanthen can you use, man I hate that stuff it seems to just sit on the skin and stay there, unless I had a dodged tube..!

My brother just used tattoo goo the parlour gave him.

18. Patterdale_lover

Hmm it shouldnt do that as it is for baby skin etc. Maybe you used too much?
    :blink:

19. Stephny691

Stephny691 PetForums Senior

Bepanthen is brill. You don't want the tattoo to stay wet all the time, otherwise it can make the edges blur. So just apply a small amount every few hours, for the first couple of days I kept mine covered at night (cause I couldn't control what touched it, whether or not a scratched it) and let it breathe during the day. For my second one, I just used a bog standard antiseptic cream, wouldn't use that again, but my second one hardly scabbed.

But yes, Bepanthen is really good.

20. GoldenShadow

Nah I tried using teensy bits and it was just saying sat on the skin all greasy like :( It does say its a 'barrier' for nappy rash though so it must at least stay near the top surface of skin...

Maybe my tube is a duff one, wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice