Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Climate Change.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by samuelsmiles, Dec 29, 2016.

1. samuelsmiles

samuelsmiles PetForums Senior

#1 samuelsmiles, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Please send this to the "we have 50 years coal reserves under the UK" brigade

3. samuelsmiles

4. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Great news. Still have a long way to go however especially when it comes to the idea that everything is "disposable". Everyone can contribute to a "greener" society and I'm just as guilty as everyone else in not doing so.

5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I planted four baby cob nut trees in two local parks last autumn . I have a cob nut tree that I planted in my garden in 2000 to mark the new century. it came form the kennels where I worked. the squirrel buries the nuts and they grow , so rather than mow them down , I' ve started to replant them and hope to do some each year in different places.

Heres one I planted earlier ! I hope they all survive.

[​IMG]

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

You could put tree guards around them while they grow a bit :)

kimthecat likes this.
  7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I think this is a great move forward
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-38571240
    "Charles Hendry will publish his independent report into the viability of the renewable energy technology later, recommending the UK builds the lagoon to capture energy from the sea.
    The Swansea Bay project would involve 16 turbines along a breakwater but is seen as only the start - a prototype for much larger lagoons".

By Roger Harrabin, BBC environment analyst
    "There are two big questions over lagoons: Will they harm wildlife and can they be built cheaply enough? There's no evidence yet on wildlife but most environment groups seem willing to see one trial lagoon built, then make an assessment."

Worth a small experiment I think. Also, once trialed and costed, there are many natural lagoons around the coast :)

ForestWomble and samuelsmiles like this.
  8. samuelsmiles

It's very interesting when looking at these new schemes to establish whether they really are viable methods of power generation taking into account the cost, the impact on the environment to build and the impact on the environment once completed.

This one would be a massive construction project which in itself would leave an equally massive carbon footprint. Hopefully, if it will produce electricity for a hundred years or more and the turbines don't kill too much (if any) sealife it will be a really positive addition to our power generation.

rona likes this.
  9. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Fantastic news about green renewables powering so much of our energy - this is in spite of the government, not because of it. Switching over to green renewables is the only chance we have of mitigating catastrophic runaway climate change, Good news about the lagoon, but if this government was serious about climate change they would never have opened the countryside up to the filthy fracking industry. They would never have trashed the renewables industry & they would not be intent on selling of our Green Investment Bank to an asset stripper. https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ent-bank-theresa-may-macquarie-caroline-lucas

[​IMG]

#9 noushka05, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    leashedForLife likes this.
  10. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

So we have another women trying at destroy our country:mad:

noushka05 likes this.
  11. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Meanwhile... sales of plastic laws rise up (and seem to be very popular with dog owners according to PF). One company has registered a 220% year-on-year increase in trade of the lawns.

Mathew Frith, director of conservation at the London Wildlife Trust, said: “You are using fossil fuels to make it, so there is a carbon impact there, you have to remove a significant amount of soil to lay it so you are reducing the direct and indirect porosity of the soil, you are removing habitat which a wide range of species are dependent on and at the end of its life this is a non-biodegradable product which ultimately goes back into landfill. So yes we are concerned at its proliferation.”

Research in 2011 by the London Wildlife Trust revealed that 3,000 hectares (12 sq miles) of garden vegetation had been lost over eight years in the UK – which amounts to more than two Hyde Parks a year. Much, if not all, of this loss was down to decking, concreting over gardens, and the use of artificial grass.

leashedForLife, MrsZee and noushka05 like this.
  12. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

And how you can help more - this app tells you about green services in your area - there is always more we can do
    https://iywto.com

leashedForLife and noushka05 like this.
  13. noushka05

leashedForLife and MrsZee like this.
  14. samuelsmiles

15. noushka05

I'll let Bill Mckibben answer that -

Bill McKibben ‏@billmckibben 17h17 hours ago

Trump today: 'environmentalism is out of control.'

Scientists: 'climate system is out of control.'

One or the other is right, I wonder which.

Trump is about to restart the Keystone XL & the Dakota access pipelines Samuel :(

16. noushka05

17. samuelsmiles

I'll be moving house within the next couple of weeks and am thinking of putting solar panels on the roof to the side/rear of my new place.

Has anyone had them fitted to their roof, and how have you found them? :)

leashedForLife and noushka05 like this.
  18. noushka05

DT on here has them :) My roof isn't facing an ideal direction, but I still want them. When we can afford to buy our own panels, we intend to do it. My energy supplier is ecotricity though, its a green energy company which doesn't cost us much more than our old provider. And I've recently found out our old provider like all our major energy companies I believe, has vested interests in the fracking industry:mad:.

19. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums VIP

Our weather is definitely getting more weird than I ever remember! Snow seems more likely March-April these days than xmas like it used to.....and when have we ever had 15 days of darkness in UK?

http://medusafacts.org/breaking-new...erience-15-days-of-darkness-in-february-2017/

Not sure whether it will affect everywhere at once or how dark it will stay? I know some countries do experience months of darkness,but they don't tend to be inhabited by millions of people! .knowing Britain, everything will grind to an halt like it does if it snows heavy! ...while us dedicated dog walkers will still be trying to get our dogs out for exercise over the pitch black fields.lol! :D

rona likes this.
  20. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I reckon it is going to get a whole lot hotter:
    https://www.theguardian.com/global-...nforests-quickly-gone-100-years-deforestation

Sea levels will rise:
    http://www.ecowatch.com/sea-level-rise-inevitable-2195929828.html

Reason why Trump and co can get away with denying it - they will be the last affected. Fig 11 shows the effect on individual countries.
    https://www.sei-international.org/p...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

9 things that a person can do
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcm...you-can-do-about-climate-change/#75797fd06672

Doesn't seem enough really :(

leashedForLife and Lilylass like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice