Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

clicker

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tasha15, Jun 6, 2010.

1. tasha15

tasha15 PetForums Member

i am full of questions today i have been having trouble with bonnie as she responds to the clicker at home but when out and i mark her she ignores it and wont eat her treat any ideas?

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

My dog Toby LIVES for his food so would never turn down a treat! How about using a favourtie toy as the reward? I know in the book I read regarding clicker training it was a suggestion but as Toby is ruled by his stomach I've always stuck to treats

3. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

many dogs do this in the beginning as there are so many distractions in the outside world. persevere, really go overboard with the praise when pup gets it right and dont give up. one of the worst things i see in my line of work is that someone will let the dog get away with NOT reacting once they transfer the training to the outside world and then the dog learns by default that actually "yahay...i am outside...i dont have to listen anymore"...
    :thumbup:

4. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Have you tried introducing the clicker to the dog outside once a bit calmer... maybe at the end of the walk on the way home. Then slowely bring it into play earlier and earlier

buster never responded at first as he was too excited post walk. So I walked about a bit before introducing it (once he had had a run and was calmer), and introduced it on lead so he wasnt more interested in running off to sniff that pile of fox doings !

5. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

What treats are you using? Use really high value treats, chicken or liver cake usually works.

6. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

as the others have said, its quite common and you need to make sure you have something REALLY enticing as the reward. i found my own pup was more interested in the tennis ball that treats when out so maybe a favourite toy would be better?

try and get pup in training mode when out by doing something simple and that they know well - maybe some sits and downs - in a quiet area with low distractions (no other dogs/animals or people but still outside) and then go on to whatever else you were trying to train...gradually the more you do they will get the idea and you will be able to build it up with more and more distractions :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice