Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Clicker Training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by 0400772, May 19, 2010.

1. 0400772

0400772 Banned

I have a two year old Jack Russell, who i have taught obedience and minor tricks to without the aid of a clicker trainer. However as he gets older the tricks he learns are becoming harder. Someone suggested i try clicker training.

Can anyone tell me how to even do this and would this actually work for an older dog as he is no longer a puppy puppy?

Many thanks

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I got my first dog Toby who is nearly 7 yrs old a few months ago & clicker training has proved really successful.

I got this book -
    Clicker Training for Dogs: Amazon.co.uk: Karen Pryor: Books

& a clicker from Pets at Home for a couple of £'s.

Toby had never had any training prior to this but is VERY food orientated so it has been fantastic.
    As long as you time the clicks to indicate the desired behaviour & reward immediately every time it is quite easy to get the hang of.

3. leashedForLife

there is also a FREE week of lessons here - by e-mail
    7 Day FREE Clickertraining Course

remember the clicker is like the shutter of a camera -
    what U mark (with a click, a chirp, a flash...) is what U **get**.
    timing does matter - and click FIRST, treat AFTER.

and on U-Tube, ANYthing by * kikopup * or * the dogGiggler * is excellent.
    clicker training: getting started, whats possible - Pet Forums Community
    there are tons of videos; =ignore Sit-Means-S*it= they are tagged CLICKER but it is Shock-training with a remote,
    starting with lesson-One of Day-1. :thumbdown:

YouTube - clicker sheep

have fun! :) clicker is a blast,
    --- terry

#3 leashedForLife, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

When Toby first came to live with us he knew sit & that was it.
    By using the clicker to train he now know most commands: sit, down, wait, stay, stand, etc.
    He now has learnt to sit either left, right or in front of me (which is really useful) by me simply pointing. It's been brilliant for me, Toby has understood the significance of the clicker VERY quickly.
    There's been quite alot of posts on here regarding this so I'd have a loom around, also Youtube has some good stuff on there.
    This is a link that has been previously recommended -YouTube - kikopup's Channel
    Good luck!

5. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

My dog was 6 months when I got him so really still a pup, but I have clicker trained him with great success. Although he knew most basic commands they were a bit hit and miss so it was a case of starting from scratch. It is a fantastic way of training an animal and once you get started it just gets easier and easier. The biggest benefit for me however is the fact that it has really taught me how my dog thinks and how best to communicate with him.

Karen Pryors site has some great info and also look up Training Levels at dragonflyllama.com which sets out a progressively structured training schedule.

With a clicker you really can teach an old dog new tricks.

6. PleasantPupZ

PleasantPupZ PetForums Newbie

Clicker training is great for any age of dog, I introduced my 9 year old GSD X to clicker training after 9 long years of what i deam traditional training he had already become an obedience champion but this put a spark back into training and we both enjoyed it so much more, at that grand age we learnt together not only clicker training but agility and free style heel work to music. Once a dog recognises that a click means reward (it does not have to be food) but is good to start with food but a tugg on a raggy a cuddle, a throw of a ball or any thing your dog enjoys they will bend over backwards to try and perform for you.

Its also to use a clicker so you can catch a behaiour your dog may do naturally such as chacing thier tail, you can click and reward when they do and introduce a command such as spin so you then progress to have it on command. Also Target training works hand in hand with clicker training you can get your dog to touch the target and these can be objects a mat or target stick and can help with send aways, waves, bows and much more.

7. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

It's nice to hear of a crossbreed becoming an ObCh! Gives me hope! What's his show name?

8. leashedForLife

yup! :) there are several ways to mark + shape behavior -
    * lure:
    the simplest, for shifts in position + early basics: sit, down, stand, beg, etc.
    use food (most often) or a scent-lure or tug-toy or ___ for the dog to follow, creating the change of position
    or the behavior: weaving thru legs in pursuit of a treat or a palm-target, fer-instance.
    * shape:
    making incremental steps toward a goal-behavior: EX: begin with a head-turn to get to a finished pirouette;
    mark successive approximations + reward each step, to refine the performance.
    * capture:
    as above, mark a spontaneous behavior like a sneeze or shake-off, then LABEL that action with a cue,
    and finally, get the action fluent under stimulus-control: the dog performs over 90% of the time on 1st-cue.
    * model:
    show the dog what behavior U want so that the dog can imitate the desired behavior -
    this is best done with another DOG as a model; dogs can and will mimic some human behaviors,
    but they are much-more successful with a k9-role-model.

* mold - last + LEAST preferred -
    to physically manipulate the dog: push butt down for sit, pull forelegs out for down, etc - the process of moving
    the dog with hands-on pressure is confusing, and often leaves the dog wondering just what the H*** they are spozed to do?,
    whereas a dog who has just thought their way thru the problem, found the solution themselves un-aided, and earned a REWARD for their success, **know what they did**, and are very un-likely to forget
    what was rewarded.
    :thumbup: no confusion there! :001_tt2:

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Clicker training is awesome. I trained the click to mean food or an ear scratch, he loves that, so it doesn't always have to be food just whatever motivates your dog/cat/rabbit/hamster. I bought it because a site had recommended using one to tame a rabbit and it came with a booklet of dog tricks to teach and how to do it. I was hooked

#9 Nicky10, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice