Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Clicker training!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by maizie0_0, May 16, 2010.

1. maizie0_0

maizie0_0 PetForums Member

I was planning on clicker training my springer spaniel puppy. If I do this, do I have to ensure I do it every time or can I only use it sometimes and just commands other times?

2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

You still use commands all the time, the clicker is the marker to say she got it right.
    ATM i just use good girl as the marker. Mainly because I do think you would have to use it(the clicker) all the time and I am not good with remembering to have it on me always.

I do own a clicker though and plan to use it for more advanced shaping things later on. :)

3. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

hi maisie0_0, with clicker training, you still use commands/cues too - as babycham says, the clicker is effectively the 'marker' to pinpoint the precise second that the pup has got the required action/behaviour correct (thats why some people use a marker 'word' such as 'yes' or 'good' or 'bingo', although this is not as easy to get so accurate).

You initially teach each new thing by 'luring' with a treat into position, then click/treat (C/T) as soon as pup gets it. Or you can do this by 'shaping' little by little with the clicker (slightly more advanced and takes a little bit of practice) or 'capturing' the action when the pup does it of their own accord (such as sitting when you bring their food bowl and you take advantage by clicking the action and rewarding by giving pup the food).

Then you would normally introduce the cue word once the pup understands the behaviour and can perform it properly (so you only give a word to the finished action).

Then there are a few stages you go through such as then getting rid of the lure and minimising it into a small hand signal and also phasing out the treats/rewards and giving them only intermittently to avoid being dependant on food for the dog to do the required command.

Once the dog knows the action well, then you would not need to use the clicker any more - it is mainly used for teaching new behaviours.

I will try and find some links for you as there have been some really good threads with loads of great info on here recently... good luck! :thumbup:

edit: just to add, I use clicker training with my dog and have done since she was a pup but when out on a walk or if I havent got the clicker to hand, I say 'yes' in a certain way/tone, which is our marker word - so I do think it can be interchanged, I just find the clicker more precise than I can be with a word for a lot of the things we do.

#3 katiefranke, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
    babycham2002 likes this.
  4. e_clark

e_clark PetForums Junior

Oooh I'd be interested in the links too if you find them, trying to find out as much as you can about clicker training as have the same concerns that I'll not always have the clicker on me etc.

5. just4alaff

just4alaff PetForums Member

can I have the links to lol you've started something now xx

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

If you google "clicker training" there are approximately 3,000,000 sites/articles on the subject.

7. e_clark

e_clark PetForums Junior

There are a lot yes, but with so many its hard to know whats useful/good advice and what isn't, so if katiefranke (or anyone else for that matter) wants to share some good ones that they knows of that would be really helpful :)

8. katiefranke

Ok here we go guys:

Loads of great links, videos and sites etc in the first two threads here:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-trai...hats-possible.html?highlight=clicker+training

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-trai...ts-achievable.html?highlight=clicker+training

A free 7 day email course you can sign up for with an email each day to take you through the basics:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-trai...s-e-mail-link.html?highlight=clicker+training

Lots of useful info/links and discussion on clicker training in general:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-trai...ining-amazing.html?highlight=clicker+training

A brilliant structure to follow to start you off and take you to more advanced levels of clicker training:
    http://www.dragonflyllama.com/ DOGS/ Dog1/levels.html

#8 katiefranke, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  9. e_clark

e_clark PetForums Junior

Thank you! I want my puppy now so I can start the fun!

10. katiefranke

No its good you have a bit of time you can do all the reading up and so you will know what you are going to do when you get pup! :thumbup:

11. just4alaff

just4alaff PetForums Member

Thanks for the links they are very helpful :) xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice