Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

"Clicker" training with a Whistle

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by gnefkow, Jun 21, 2010.

1. gnefkow

gnefkow PetForums Newbie

I have a quick question for the clicker trainers.

From what I understand, "clicker" training just requires a well-timed audio stimulus to act as a bridge before the primary reinforcer.

If this is the case, would there be any reason not to use a whistle as the auditory stimulus instead of a click?

...just curious

-gnefkow

2. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

you could use any sound you like as long as it is introduced properly and 'charged' so the dog understands what it is - some people use a clicker word like 'yes' or 'bingo', some use a click of the tongue or a snap of the fingers etc... but remember that whatever the sound, it is the 'marker', not the 'cue' itself.

the reason I say this is because most people know of the whistle in training to ask the dog to do something - so for the 'cue' (i.e. multiple pips for recall or one long pip for distance down etc)...but if you were to use the whistle as the marker itself, then you would still need to use a cue to ask the dog to do the task and then the whistle would be to mark the point at which it does the correct thing. and as per the clicker, this would then be phased out over time once the dog was performing reliably...

hope that answers your question!

3. gnefkow

gnefkow PetForums Newbie

sure does!

Yea, that's what seems to make sense from the reading that I've done.

thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice