Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Clicker Training More Than One Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Cleo38, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

How do you do this? I am currently having short sessions with Toby & Roxy. Probably more beneficial to Roxy by encouraging her to focus on me rather than Toby, try to get her to understand that the attention isn't always on her, get them working together & learn together.

Our session today was great - they were both brillaint, especially Roxy as yopu tell she found waiting her turn incredibly difficult.

As we were just doing simple tasks (which both dogs know but Roxy needs to learn a bit more) but I was only clicking Roxy as I didn't want to confuse them by too many clicks.

When Toby perfromed the task he got a 'yes!' & then his treat but now I'm not sure if this will be confusing to him should I want individual trainion sessions where he is learning new things & needs a definite marker (he responds so well to clicker training)

Now should I use dofferent clickers with different noises? Should I continue just clicking Roxy but 'yes' for Toby when together then continue with the clicker with him during individual sessions?

I'm confusing myself as to which would be easiest for everyone!! Any tips wopuld be greatfully received! :D

2. Corinthian

Corinthian PetForums Member

Two clickers would b good, or any other sound that is convenient to you. I've noticed zoo people tend to use whistle, probably because they come from the marine mammal tradition.

. I once had 5 dogs and used a guitar tuning whistle.

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I use a whistle when I really need them to come back to me when we are out - well, that's the idea :rolleyes:

Maybe I should try another clicker, I juts need to make sure I remember who gets which click, it will probably end up with me getting confused :D or not having enough hands for 2 clickers & treats!

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Phew your confusing me as well....LOL
    If you're training Toby and Roxy together I would personally use the clicker for Roxy and 'yes' for Toby.
    To make sure Toby doesn't get confused have a few sessions with him on his own first until he gets used to 'yes' instead of a click.
    Thats just my opinion of course.

5. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

A great book i read is called Crossover to clicker, it really helped me.i was told at the start of my training not to train 2 dogs together as i could be clickering a wrongdoing with 1 of the dogs, so i took 1 dog at a time into another room at home and did 10 mins clicker, the dog that really needed clicker to get his focus on me, did really well then after a few sessions when i was out walking the dogs i used the clicker and the dog that needed the focus did really well.

#5 hazel pritchard, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

LOL, imagine what I do to my poor dogs then!!! :blink:

They were brilliant tonight, I was so pleased with both of them. I think I will stick to how we went tonight as it worked well.

I never really get them to learn new things together so as not to confuse them. It's mainly about getting them (Roxy!) to learn to wait their turn & recognise which command is directed at them.

Thanks for the book recommendation Hazel - that's another one for my list! :D

7. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

As the Clickety is for teaching new things, I'd seperate the dogs. Then when you've got it on cue, have moved to mixing praise & treats, later you can proof them under the distraction of the other's prescence.

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Excellent, that's mainly what we are doing at the moment. I hoped that these joint sessions would encourage them to concentrate around each other rather than just tear around the garden or with Roxy trying to steal the limelight.

I was really suprised at just how well she did, you can tell it's difficult for her to wait at times. Although he is excellent at 'leave' (hotdog treats) whereas poor Toby who loves his food really struggles with this one :nono:

9. RobD-BCactive

I saw an impressive youtube vid of Pitt Bulls in a group, responding to name, or gender and such. Will be cool when you crack it... "Roxy lie down, Toby come here!", and I'm sure you will eventualy step by step, playing to their strengths at first.

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

They were brilliant tonight, I was so pleased with both of them. I think I will stick to how we went tonight as it worked well.

Well done you, especially as you were tearing your hair out with Roxy a few months ago.

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

LOL, I still am! I just recognise now that I will have bad days but the good days are starting to become more frequent now (I say with fingers crossed!!)

She may not be an easy dog but she is teaching me so much - I think both of us are learning to be more patient & not so pushy :D

12. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Thatta girl......

Many years ago I had a little collie bitch called Jessie. I went with a friend to look at a litter of puppies she was interested in. She duly chose one and there was just one pup left (the little runt). My husband had driven us and I had an absolute tantrum when we stopped for a meal on the way home because I wanted her and my husband had said no!! When we got back in the car, instead of driving home, he headed back to the farm so I got my own way.
    Jessie then spent the next 13.1/2 years driving me to distraction. I could write a book on her antics and I've never chosen a puppy since; I always take advice from more knowledgeable friends or the breeder.
    The point I am trying to make is that little dog taught me more about patience, perserverance, how dog's minds work, etc. than all the others put together that I've ever owned and for that I will always be enternally grateful to her.

13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That's what I'm really hoping I will be saying about Roxy! Toby was a brilliant first dog & without having him I would in no way been competent enough with Roxy.

Toby was everything you would want in a first dog; sociable, friendly, eager to learn, instantly rewarding which really encourgaed me to learn rather than despair at my inexperience.

Roxy is far more challenging (for want of a better word :D ) & it was me who really pushed for second dog & sort acted as you did so I was fully prepared for my OH to say 'I told you so' when we realised she had a few more issues. Luckily he didn't .... too much!

14. eugenezach

eugenezach PetForums Newbie

Clicker training is a powerful training method if one knows how to exploit it fully. It's a lot more than those clicking sounds. If one knows how to properly use clicker training you can make the dog do wonders for you.

15. RobD-BCactive

How's this going now? Update please when you have news :)

16. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Thanks for asking! LOL, not too successful tonight. Roxy was great; focussed & listening. Toby was just too food focussed & was doing all his best moves trying to get a treat :rolleyes: He is so food obsessed which is great at times but sessions like tonight he can't seem to concentrate as he wants the treat soooo badly!!

We didn't seem to be getting anywhere as he was salivating too much so we just went for a joint effort - sits together, downs, basic things but at short distances. Also lots of waits & leaves (another one Toby finds very hard if it's hotdog)

Toby then seemed to calm down a bit so I concentrated on them working together but doing different things; 'drop' with Roxy, we have built up to her kong squeaky toys which she is always reluctant to give up but was much better tonight. With Toby is was going to his mat & walking towards left or right signals.

17. RobD-BCactive

I remember Terry lfl "ticking me off" for meanness, as I was using mix of dry training treats and kibble with my pup and he seemed eager to "earn". But when I did try some of the kind of things everyone else has to use, he would just be totally frantic :)

It is a bit of a problem at classes to, your dog notices another has pieces of hot dog or chicken and gets distracted. I guess this is all part of the joys of group training.

18. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

LOL, we had some good stuff yesterday (Tesco deli counter had loads of stuff on offer!) but Toby get so excited even when I use bits of carrot (we have to watch his weight)

Mind you I recognise the signs - I'm like that when I know we have cakes in the house! :D

19. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I remember Terry lfl "ticking me off" for meanness, as I was using mix of dry training treats and kibble with my pup and he seemed eager to "earn". But when I did try some of the kind of things everyone else has to use, he would just be totally frantic :)

I agree. Sometimes very high value treats or toys can be counter-productive with certain dogs as they become totally 'fixed' and then don't concentrate fully on the task required. For instance; I can't to heelwork or distance control with the youngster with a ball in my hand - she'll work but the turns, particularly left, are not accurate enough and with distance control she goes into the sit and down slowly because she is staring boggle eyed at the ball.

It is a bit of a problem at classes to, your dog notices another has pieces of hot dog or chicken and gets distracted. I guess this is all part of the joys of group training.

We do an awful lot of distraction training in class because at shows there are always loads of dogs being worked in outside the ring (including the stay ring) with tit-bits and toys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice