UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok both my dogs are being clicker trained, i do separate sessions with them and some with them together, when i do separate ones i do my puppy first, my older dog will just sit by the baby gate and wait, when its the older dogs turn, the puppy goes mental barking and jumping at the gate it makes the training session with the older dog harder. Ive also tried training the older dog first then the puppy she still goes mental at the baby gate while im training him, its like the clicker is setting her off??

Is there anything i can do to stop this? i would pop her outside so she cant hear the clicker as well but im doing training with doors so i have to keep opening and closing the door, there isnt another door down stairs we can shut, we also cant pop her upstairs as she isnt allowed up there yet and her crate is to big for me to move upstairs and downstairs everyday.

It seems like most of the other dogs training lesson is taken up with Tails barking constantly!

·
Registered
14,449 Posts
It's not ideal to have either dog watching whilst you're clicker training the other one.

Could you not put the puppy in her crate in another room with the radio on?

Clicker training is brilliant but this is one of the drawbacks (it distracts/excites other dogs) and why clickers are banned around the rings at obedience shows in the UK.

G

·
Yes, ideally you clicker train separately though once they “get” clicker training, you should be able to put one in a settle and work the other then vice versa.
How to train more than one dog- clicker dog training - YouTube
Me, I’m too lazy to bother to teach that much when I can just close a door. Out of my 4, only one will settle while I work another dog, and the only reason I bothered to teach it is because he does compete and he needs to know how to settle in the face of other dogs working.

It's not ideal to have either dog watching whilst you're clicker training the other one.

Could you not put the puppy in her crate in another room with the radio on?

Clicker training is brilliant but this is one of the drawbacks (it distracts/excites other dogs) and why clickers are banned around the rings at obedience shows in the UK.
They are? How interesting! One show I was at, the two obedience rings were set up right next to the show photographer who would continually squeak a toy or chirp or otherwise try to get an attentive expression from the dogs. When a few people complained about having a squeaky toy right outside the O rings, the reply was “they’re obedience dogs, they should be able to handle distractions.”
Not sure how I feel about it... On the one hand I get it, obedience IS about being able to handle distractions. On the other hand, what about the greener dogs and handlers? That seems a bit much to ask of them their first few times out...

·
Registered
14,449 Posts
Yes, ideally you clicker train separately though once they “get” clicker training, you should be able to put one in a settle and work the other then vice versa.
How to train more than one dog- clicker dog training - YouTube
Me, I’m too lazy to bother to teach that much when I can just close a door. Out of my 4, only one will settle while I work another dog, and the only reason I bothered to teach it is because he does compete and he needs to know how to settle in the face of other dogs working.

They are? How interesting! One show I was at, the two obedience rings were set up right next to the show photographer who would continually squeak a toy or chirp or otherwise try to get an attentive expression from the dogs. When a few people complained about having a squeaky toy right outside the O rings, the reply was “they’re obedience dogs, they should be able to handle distractions.”
Not sure how I feel about it... On the one hand I get it, obedience IS about being able to handle distractions. On the other hand, what about the greener dogs and handlers? That seems a bit much to ask of them their first few times out...
The consensus of opinion and common courtesy dictates no clickers or squeaky toys near the rings. Handlers do use tuggy type toys or their leads if they are doing training rounds in the ring.

I was judging yesterday and there must have been in excess of 20 rings, most of which were adjacent to each other and that's not counting the stay ring.

G

·
The consensus of opinion and common courtesy dictates no clickers or squeaky toys near the rings. Handlers do use tuggy type toys or their leads if they are doing training rounds in the ring.

I was judging yesterday and there must have been in excess of 20 rings, most of which were adjacent to each other and that's not counting the stay ring.
Haha! And here you’ll get spoken to about having a tug toy but squeakers and clickers are okay LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.