Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cleve Hill Solar Farm approved.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by samuelsmiles3, May 29, 2020.

1. samuelsmiles3

samuelsmiles3 PetForums Senior

Nearly one million solar panels to cover the Kent countryside with solar panels. This is where the so called 'green' activists should be waving their placards, and this is where Extinction Rebellion should be blocking roads. We'll see if they turn up here. Disgraceful decision.

New Solar Farm Approved for Kent.

Calvine and kimthecat like this.
  2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

If we want to have all our electric gadgets which we are buying more and more of all the time, we need to get power from somewhere.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

And all the electric cars we’re supposedly all going to have to drive in future.....

There’s a big solar farm in a field along the M25 near me.

The field underneath continues to grow (and has wildlife presumably) and is grazed by sheep.

I guess the structures can be removed fairly easily too?

Whilst not ideal, probably preferable to fossil and nuclear in the long term.

Given the current situation and the importation of food from abroad, maybe the solar units could power greenhouses underneath them for food production and help us be more self sufficient?

I do think more renewable energy should be factored into any new building too.

Being an island (and with countless waterways) we should make more of hydro power too.

4. Happy Paws2

OH has been saying that for years.:)

lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

What with all the houses they're gong to build ans solar panel farms etc there wont be any country left.

Calvine and samuelsmiles3 like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Plenty of brown field sites they could put to good use instead.

7. Happy Paws2

All new houses could have solar panels as standard.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

There’s a lot of solar farms local to me, but honestly you’d hardly know they’re there; all low level and behind hedges, they have minimum impact.

It’s a shame the Kent ones need to be so tall.

Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately hydro power isn't all it is cracked up to be...we have been fed a rosy picture over the years.
    According to reports in 2018 more than 90% of dams built since 1930s were more expensive than anticipated to build and to run. They also do serious ecological damage to rivers, displace millions of people and contribute to greenhouse gasses from the decomposition of flooded lands and forests.

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I meant more using the natural wave power rather than systems that cause damage or demand major building projects such as dams or diversions, etc.

I confess I’m not that aux fait with possible techniques but I’ve seen a few systems that have no real impact on the water source. In some places where a turbine might have an impact on fish/eel passage they have installed ladders etc.

I would hope that any green energy would have potential impact on environment as a major consideration (enforced by legislation/planning etc.).

I know that good old common sense can be lacking in these areas though.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  11. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I don't really know anything about solar panels but could there be a danger to birds, insects, bats etc?

If not, it's certainly a better plan than fracking. Just a shame that it'll ruin the landscape and goodness knows what it'll do to all the wildlife in the area.

kimthecat likes this.
  12. Happy Paws2

ForestWomble likes this.
  13. samuelsmiles3

I'm all in favour of finding the best ways to power our homes, but this doesn't make any sense at all. It's just destroying the environment to 'save' the environment.

Being as far north as the UK means we don't get the amount of sunlight needed. There's nothing being generated at night when we need it most on cold, dark winter evenings and there will be little electricity produced during the short winter days. And, when it snows you will have a solar farm the size of a town not working when you most need it to work.

Wirsol, one of the companies wanting to build it also has a dodgy safety and honesty record relating to previous builds.

"Toucan is now suing Wirsol over the solar parks they bought from Wirsol. The Toucan claim is for £41 million. Wirsol denies the claim and is countersuing for £8.7 million.

The Toucan court documents show that problems began to emerge early on. The solar farms did not produce the electricity output which was claimed when Wirsol sold them. They would trip out and overheat leading to “a significant risk of fire.”

We do want the cleanest ways to produce electricity that has the least impact on the environment, but it's impossible to see that covering that environment in toxic, unreliable and intermittent solar panels the size of double decker buses is the way forward. If I lived next to it I would be in utter despair.

Calvine likes this.
  14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Can't open this . . . it says ''accept cookies'' but when you accept, nothing happens; this is all I can get.

Attached Files:

15. Happy Paws2

did you read this I put on earlier
    https://www.newscientist.com/articl...dlife-havens-that-tackle-biodiversity-crisis/

16. samuelsmiles3

17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Obviously, dodgy business practice and shoddy/dangerous equipment should be dealt with but that doesn’t negate the need for reliable renewable energy sources.

MollySmith likes this.
  18. samuelsmiles3

I think reliability is the least of concerns about solar (and wind) , although it does raise huge concerns. Can you imagine trying to contain a fire causing massively toxic chemicals on a scale of a town the size of Faversham that it is to be built next to? And you wouldn't want to rely on solar at night and in mid-winter.

Will this reduce the cost of electricity, reduce the amount of CO2 put into the atmosphere or help reduce (control) the temperature of the planet? I can see no benefit coming from this , but plenty of disadvantages and huge damage to the environment that we are supposed to be protecting.

19. Happy Paws2

That's strange there was a long article about it when I put it on. Don't understand where it's gone:confused:

20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I didn’t just say it had to be reliable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice