Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cleaning the udders

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Gratch, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Yes, I know Gratch isn't a cow. Just wondering if I should try give her a water only wash down? Around the nipples is matted down and I don't want the poor beastie feeling grubby. Obviously I'll leave her if people think it's best to but she can't quite get it clean herself and I wasn't sure if the kittens are more likely to take in extra bacteria from it. If I am advised to wash her it'll only be the underside with warm water and I'll towel dry/low setting hair dryer to get her back to her kittens fast.

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

small dab with a wet cloth, never done it myself but wouldnt use a hairdryer on such a sensitive area.
    However I shave my girls as the hair is too long and gets matted with the suckling, so its all clean :)

I dont shave the british but she loses all of her hair beforehand and the nips are on show.

3. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Thanks Taylorbaby, will give that a try. She's got very awkward fur! Definitely not a long haired but a bit longer than your average shorthair *sigh*

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

did you trim the hair befor they were born? around the nips/next to it?

if she will let you maybe do that now, I never shaved on emgs first litter she lost the hair, the 2nd the kittens were suckling the hair and within a couple of hours it was matted, she also had no milk so off to the vets, shot of oxy & they shaved the chest for her, got home let them suckle (and top up feeds!) milk came out and no more nasty matted suckled hair! So did it again on this litter nice shaved tum tum, also did it for ellie as her hair was very long, worked out really well all nips on show easy for kits to get to :)

#4 Taylorbaby, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  5. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I didn't trim them no. Around the nipples sort of went bald a week before and I assumed that they weren't going to try inhale all of her. She'd had her lower half shaved for an ultrasound so that's ok but they seem to prefer the higher nipples so they must get ahold of the hair up their. Will give her a quick trim after it's clean and dry

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

they normally do lose it, its harder with the long hairs though, id trim around it, being careful not to cut her, infact it might not even be worth it now as they are older they can find the nip etc, thats where my problem was suckling hair instead of nips as the hair was in the way :(

7. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

OK lol. Well I'll just keep her clean then and if there's anything too long I'll just carefully cut it down a bit with scissors

8. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

pmsl laughing @ udders!!! love it :D only laughed so much cos my 9 yr old daughter just sed the other day the my pregnant cat we growing udders lol :D just made me laugh that someone else called them that too lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice