Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cleaning limescale... help!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Purplecatlover, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

Hi, my kitchen sink tap had really bad limescale and eventually broke (if I turned them on it would spurt water)

my landlord has put a new tap on but the limescale is still bad around where the tap is.

I’m not good with cleaning and just wondered if anyone could help with what I need to use

Thankyou cxxx

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Hello, I found this from https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/blog/how-to-remove-limescale

When it comes to cleaning taps to remove limescale, vinegar or lemon work best outside of a chemical cleaner.

Removing limescale from taps comes in two parts - the levers and body as well as the water outlet. These are the areas most likely to see limescale form. For each one, they need to be in constant contact with a cleaner.

To remove limescale from the water outlet or spout, fill a cap with lemon juice or vinegar and position it over the spout. Ensure the outlet is submerged in it completely and fix the cap in place with either tape or an elastic band - then leave it overnight.

For the upper parts of your tap, soak cotton wool or a cloth in either white vinegar or lemon juice and wrap it around the taps. If you want to be sure, secure it in place with an elastic band. Leave it for a couple of hours or overnight, depending on the amount of limescale.

You may need to lightly scrub the taps afterwards to remove all the residue.

When using vinegar or lemon juice, bear in mind the type of tap you have. For plated taps - such as chrome or gold - don’t use vinegar as it can damage the finish.
    A handy trick is to cut a lemon in half and attach it to the tap spout - it could even stick in place on its own. Once you’re done with the cleaning, rub the taps down with a clean cloth for extra shine.

Coca cola works as well, I used coca cola to get rid of the limescale on my kitchen sink.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

If using vinegar then the white vinegar is better than the normal brown coloured type.

You can also use ascorbic acid - available from the pharmacy. It's not actually "acid" but a powdered form of Vitamin C - I always use it to descale my kettle and shower head as it's a natural, non-chemical product. Pharmacies sell it because it's used in home wine making !

ForestWomble likes this.
  4. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

It's probably no good for the environment, but the only thing I've ever found that works well is Kilrock Gel.

It comes in a pot like Copydex used to if you've ever seen that, with a brush in the lid.

Brush it on, let it fizz and do it's work then wipe off. Gloves are needed as it isn't good for your skin and sometimes more than one application.

But it shifts it a treat.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I use cotton wool wrapped round taps etc., soaked in vinegar (white or brown doesn’t matter ime) over night.

Works a treat and is not toxic nor has it stained or marked the chrome etc.

ForestWomble likes this.
  6. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

Thankyou so much everyone!!! Really appreciate it :) gonna get my marigolds on tomorrow!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice