Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cleaning kitty....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Char8607, May 7, 2017.

1. Char8607

Char8607 Mum to Storm (b. 2010) and Luna (b.2017)

Sorry if this sounds a very stupid question but would be grateful of any tips or advice.

Luna is settling in well and she really is a little sweetheart. Other than the fact she will not sleep alone at night she's not an ounce of bother.

Now, like all kitties her rear end seems to get a little messy from time to time and cleaning it doesn't bother me. However she seems to be smelling a little pungent (bless her!) I've just been wiping her with some warm water and cotton balls but wondered if there's anything else I could or should be using? She's generally ok with her number 2's but she is getting a bit wet when she goes for a wee so I think that's what's making her a bit smelly!!

Again, sorry if this is a silly question!

2. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

I use pet wipes or baby wipes that have been wrung out in warm water on Bertie. I don't use them straight from the pack as they never seem wet enough to clean his fur but he seems to have been okay with either of these and the small amount of cleaning product in them gets rid of any smells. You also have the advantage over cotton wool in that you can rinse and repeat with the same wipe if they are very dirty and then follow up with a clean one.

Char8607 likes this.
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

You could trim the fur in the area, very carefully, use round-tipped scissors and leave it about 1cm long.

Temporally_Loopy and Char8607 like this.
  4. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

I bought a bottle of pet shampoo when Jango was a kitten and put a little in warm water and wiped with cotton balls. It was just when he was a kitten there's no need now. Hiwever I do use the shampoo to wash his favourite blanket as it doesn't seem to give it a smell that he doesn't like!

huckybuck and Char8607 like this.
  5. Char8607

Char8607 Mum to Storm (b. 2010) and Luna (b.2017)

Thanks all; definitely.goung to try the baby wipes option first @Temporally_Loopy as we always have those around the house! If not then may invest in some pet shampoo @Citruspips.

Her furr isn't actually that long @OrientalSlave I think she just sits in her tray! We had to do that when the boys were little though especially Cloud as he was just so fluffy!!x

6. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

Be wary of baby wipes! We did this when Popcorn was a kitten and she got cysitis which the vet suggested was down to us using baby wipes! I'd defo stick to water and cotton wool or the others suggestions!

7. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

We used to just clean jaspers bum with warm water & cotton pads. We didn't rub, we just patted :) seemed to do the trick. He doesn't know how to clean himself even now so it's still the case sometimes. He tends to wee on the floor and step on it too, and if it's on his paws I just wet a flannel with warm water and wipe them. I bought cat shampoo but never used it lol warm water did the trick :)

8. Temporally_Loopy

Temporally_Loopy PetForums Member

I don't use the baby wipes on his "parts" just around his bum and the fluffy fur on his tail and back legs that get pooey, in any case they are well rinsed out prior to use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice