Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cleaning a cats bum

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kittencapes, Dec 31, 2011.

1. kittencapes

kittencapes PetForums Member

Hi,

Slightly unpleasant post:eek:, but what is the best way to clean a cats bum? Gus gets an upset tummy sometimes and as he has long hair he often gets a mucky bum. Normally I fill a bowl with water and cat shampoo, and wipe his bum with an old towel, but I wondered if there was anything better. I have looked for wipes in the pet shop, but nothing seems very effective.

Unfortunately he isn't terribly fussy over washing, unlike his brother, so he needs a little help!

Thanks

:eek:

2. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I use a weak solution of Johnsons baby shampoo and a soft wash cloth.

4. Scarlett20

Scarlett20 PetForums Senior

Unless you are going to give the cat a full bath, I think that applying water to the dirty area really just tends to spread the mess. So what I do is to sprinkle some non-perfumed talc ( for example 'Simple' ) and rub it into the area with a piece of kitchen roll. This dries the mess and a short time afterwards you are able to comb it out. Obviously it is best to keep one special comb in reserve for this duty

This technique does sound a bit odd, but I find it very effective on our 2 Persian kittens.

5. amszephyr

amszephyr PetForums Junior

On the (very infrequent) occasions my two have come in with less-than-spotless rear ends, I just give a quick wipe with a baby wipe then dispose in a nappy sack (which I already keep for litter tray emptying). I'm sure I'm not the only pet owner who shops in the baby aisle of the supermarket!

6. marleyboo

marleyboo PetForums Senior

same as the othe rladies suggested ...

im interested in the non water soloution shall have to investigate :biggrin:

marley had a bath 2 nights ago same problem :shocked: you know youd think theyd wipe their own bottoms :skep:xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice