Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Clean towels smell horrid...why!?!!?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bogie, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bogie

bogie PetForums Junior

Has anyone else come across this weird thing??

My Mum is obsessed with washing towels - like every other day or something, but often when I visit their house and dry myself on a clean towel, it smells really really vile, like a horrible unwashed smell.

My Mum, of course, gets really offended if I say this and whips another one out the airing cupboard (which often still smells the same when it gets wet)

I always put this down to her just washing them too often. We use the same powder and fabric conditioner as her, but our towels always smell clean - even though we don't wash them half as often as my Mum does!

When I went up there to stay recently, I took some of our sheets and towels to wash (as we only have a little machine and just a little drying rack) and this morning, when I used one of those towels for the first time, it smelt that same vile smell :confused: And I know that towel doesn't get the wash-beatings that my Mum's ones do. We both live in really hard water areas so that can't be it either.

What on earth does she do to the things?!?!?!?

2. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

It could be that her washing machine isn't very good...

In hospitals towels have special washing requirements because they pick up smells and dirt from other things they are washed with. So if they all get washed together, it would only have taken one smelly one to make the rest smell bad too.

On some consumer rights program once they had cheap towels which were moulding inside when they were damp. It made me feel really ill!

3. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

It could be her machine is it only the towels that smell ?
    If it is well it just seems odd :confused:

4. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

How does she dry them? If towels are left to dry slowly in a cold house they often smell mouldy when wet. Also does she leave them in the washing machine for ages after washing before taking them out to dry?? Again this can leave a smell in the material.

5. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

It might be that she is overloading her washing machine and the towels are not tumbling properly when washing. The result is that the towels get wet but not washed.

When my OH does his washing, he sometimes forgets and puts too much in. He remembers when he takes the wash out and it has a wet, pongy smell rather than a nice fresh, clean one.

6. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Does she shut the washing machine door? You're supposed to leave it open after use so it dries out, otherwise it smells like sour water.

7. Cranmer

Cranmer PetForums VIP

Does she ever wee on them? That might be it.

8. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

:eek: :eek: :scared:

9. bogie

bogie PetForums Junior

LOL!:lol: Wee....Mould...ewww! I'm never going to get her to wash our towels again.

Actually she does often put the washing machine on last thing at night so it is often left with the door shut and the stuff in there for ages.

Weird that it is only the towels that smell odd though, not clothes or sheets or anything.

Mould in the towel.....shudder......I'm going to wash that towel again right now!!

Thanks for all the tips! Dare I mention it to her??!?!!?!?

10. dizzylou

dizzylou PetForums Member

I noticed our towels were starting to smell :frown: (and some of our other clothes) so when the washing machine broke down at Christmas :mad: we asked the repair man about this. He said it was a build up of all the gunk and limescale over the years and to use a 'cleaner' once a month (i.e. Calgon but we got hotpoint own make) which gets rid of all the build up of grease and limescale, you put the machine on a hot wash and run it empty, now our towels smell fresh as a daisy :thumbup:

11. rose

rose PetForums VIP

I would agree that the towels are still damp when they are folded up.
    Every few weeks I put my machine on a boil wash to clean out the pipes of dirt/grease/skin....... Urgh!!!:eek:

12. AcornAntiques

AcornAntiques PetForums Member

I'm sorry but this had me buckled :thumbup:

13. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

White vinegar is cheaper than anything else to clean machine. Large cup on a high heat with empty machine.

Another alternative is to use a scoop of soda crystals in every wash, softens water, cleans out grease, plus no need for fabric softener. I haven't bought softener for years

14. metame

metame PetForums VIP

wow, all these tips on washing machines that i never knew. Why do machines have to be so complicated!?

15. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

It does sound as if it's the machine & it needs a clean.

16. Mophie

Mophie PetForums Senior

Our clothes can wiff if I'm lazy and don't take them out I'm bad I re-wash them without opening the door and that usually solves it. So if her wash is left in over night that might be it teamed with however they're dried.

17. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I used to date a washing machine repair bloke a long tiome ago and he said the best thing you can do for your machine is to use the liquid soaps and NOT the powders!!

He said "Look at the way the powder can leave cloggy-up bits in the powder drawer - well, it's doing the same inside your machine!"

I've never used a powder since. :)

18. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

I used to get the same with my towels, even with my brand new washing machine. At the time I was washing my towels on a 60 degree wash. When I started using fleece and towels for my guinea pig bedding I was washing them on 90 degrees, and noticed that they always came out smelling fantastic. So now I do all my towels on a 90 wash and haven't had a problem with nasty pongs since.
    I think lower temperature washes leave bacteria behind that can quickly lead to bad smells... not much can survive a 90 wash...

19. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Totally agree with this.

I don't care what they say about washing on 30 - there are certain items that should be boil washed - towels and bed-linen being my two 'musts'!! :)

20. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Same. My mum found her washing started to smell vile when she was washing everything on a 30, since going back to washing certain things on 90 she's had no more problems with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice